Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sluggish VP V8

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
In the end I ended up burning my own chips for the ECU and got some good gains over the Chip-Torque crap that the previous owner installed.

Chuff
Sharing is caring.

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
Sharing is caring.

Not much to share. There are much better custom tunes out there already, and if you've got the gear to not only burn the chips, but to also tune your ECU to suit your specific engine's requirements then everything will be running at its best, but that's a topic well beyond the scope of this thread.

The 808 ECU in the VN-VP model range can be tuned in real-time, and can even auto-tune itself to suit your engine requirements. Search the web, there's a heap of information out there.

Have fun.

Chuff

rachv8ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss commodore
Thanks for replying.. hopefully we will try tune and new chip and it will help.. because at the moment a heavy truck driving up hill could go faster lol.. did you end up finding out were the random vacum hose at back of the block went? Because we have that also.. its not connected to anything..?

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
I also have a random hose with no vacuum at the back of the block, on the driver's side. I think it is a vent for the auto tranny.

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
did you end up finding out were the random vacum hose at back of the block went? Because we have that also.. its not connected to anything..?

Too long ago and I can't remember. There's only a few hoses anyway. Brake booster, MAP sensor, Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) & vacuum supplied to the interior ventilation system in order to allow you to direct the air flow between your feet, the vents and windscreen demist. If you can't change your interior vents between these settings at idle, then that hose is a problem. If the vents change by themselves during hard acceleration then most likely you have an issue with the vacuum canister located under the passenger side guard. If either of these 2 scenarios is true, then you will by default have a vacuum leak in your intake system which will be contributing to your lack of performance and should be rectified. FPR hose disconnection could possibly cause your problems, so make sure your FPR which is located at the firewall end of the driver's side fuel rail has a vacuum hose connected to it and is receiving vacuum while the engine is running. Brake Booster & MAP hose disconnections would produce very obvious results so if it's one of these, you'd have other significant symptoms.

You also mentioned you had the timing done. Was this done correctly, while in diagnostic mode via the ALDL plug & the FPR vacuum hose disconnected and then timing set at 10° BTDC? If not, your timing will not be correct and would explain your lack of performance.

As for the breather hose from the trannie, it may be that if the hose disappears down towards the transmission. If so, it's meant to be open and not connected to anything as far as I know.

Chuff

Datvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp
Hey guys
I have a vp with a 3.8l and wondering if anybody has fitted an aftermarket fan to the aircon condenser?