Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sluggish vt - need advice!

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
Hi all
first of all I know it's a calais and it's probably full of un-needed crap thats weighing it down, it's got a 5L 195i in it and i have fitted paceys, twin 2.25 system.
now my problem is this thing takes forever to get up and move (i swear any six could hold me till about 100km/h even 120km/h off the line...and honestly i find that disgusting for an 8)
the car itself is in very good mech order, i just can't understand why this thing is so slow off the line!

i ended up doing a lil test on the weekend (private road of course) i found that cruisin on 180km/h and planting the foot will take it up and past 200km/h no worries and it does this quite quick could probably get it to 240-250km/h, but say cruisin on 100km/h and planting the foot it will really pull no harder then a 6!!!...

so anyway whats going on with this thing, why will it make all it's nice lil pulling power roughly above 160 but is such a slug at low speeds?

what can i do to get this slug of an 8 to actually perform like one? will diff gears help? suggestions please...oh and im not after any chargers that comes when i stroke it.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Yep I bet you started to notice this after the exhaust got done...With the mods you've done to the exhaust it's understandable that it feels like a slug on acceleration...and the high speed response compared to the low speed response confirms this...Your exhaust is to big for a stock 304... a 2.5 single single system would be more than adequate for a stocker.
:thumbsup:

You're best bet is now to fit a CAI to let more air in and a performance chip...

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
Yep I bet you started to notice this after the exhaust got done...With the mods you've done to the exhaust it's understandable that it feels like a slug on acceleration...and the high speed response compared to the low speed response confirms this...Your exhaust is to big for a stock 304... a 2.5 single single system would be more than adequate for a stocker.
:thumbsup:

ok cool cheers, yea your right i was thinking its a lil to big as well, but in the very near future (like under 2 months away) i will be stroking it to 355 and sorta leaving it at that for a good while, with it stroked would the system i have on now be better for it, or would it be simpler/better to change the system to a single 2.5 and have it stroked?.
cheers:)

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Leave the exhaust as it is...with a stroker it should be fine !!! :thumbsup:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
changing the diff gears wouldn't hurt either. VT 195i (s1 isn't it) probably has 3.08:1 where as with the s2 VT with genIII didn't they change it to 3.46:1. possibly also get a kalmaker tune done including getting your shift points recalibrated. this will help with acceleration from 100km etc

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
changing the diff gears wouldn't hurt either. VT 195i (s1 isn't it) probably has 3.08:1 where as with the s2 VT with genIII didn't they change it to 3.46:1. possibly also get a kalmaker tune done including getting your shift points recalibrated. this will help with acceleration from 100km etc
yea it's a series 1 cheers for the info, keep it all coming:thumbsup:

Taso

Reaction score
Members Ride
R33 GTS-t
i reckon its not the exhaust, have u had any other opinions?

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
i reckon its not the exhaust, have u had any other opinions?
i believe it's exhaust, weight of car(1740kg!) diff gearing that make it so sluggy not so much one part.
well i'll be getting it stroked so that should sort the power to weight ratio making it a bit more reasonable, im going down today to talk with the mech about diff gearing..probably go 3.45:1 or 3.7:1, i don't do alot of HW driving so it won't be to bad.
also looking into getting my autobox kitted but that will be some time away yet..