Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smash repair question

python_hunter1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
the panel shop might also be strugling in this economic climate, and $2k in there pocket is better than no jobs coming in at all..aggred it wont be a show quality finish, but ask if you can see any photos of thier work..you might be suprised..

PorkoWog

Reaction score
Website
www.turt.me
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Fair point python_hunter1, never thought of it that way. I am not looking for a show quality finish but I don't want the paint to be flaking off in the next month or so. The place that gave me the quote looks above average and they seem to be quite professional. They work on BMW's, Mercs and a couple of other exotic cars so I doubt that they'd do a bodgey spray job.

I haven't been there in a couple of months due to personal reasons so I gotta give him a ring and see if the same price still stands.

muvro

TUFF 6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 L67 A4
Went over a smooth rounded kerb, not the square ones we have almost everywhere in Sydney, slid on grass sideways slowly and finally hitting the brick fence backwards. No damage anywhere else except the back that is pictured.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but aren't there warranties on resprays? Especially if a receipt is provided?

That looks like the beaver (rear panel behind bar) would be damaged. If it is, and the repair bill is coming to 1200 I'd be very sceptical. Also a further 800 to paint the rest of the car (ie whole car except for boot lid and rear bar as that's included in the 1200 repair price). Do'pnt expect anything decent as far as longevity goes.

It may look good when you get it. But a closer inspections will reveal everything has been masked up or painted over.

If you do go ahead with it, just ask the person you are dealing with, whether or not he'll be taking moulds and badges etc off for the paint job.

Don't expect a warrenty with the job either. Cheap cash jobs generally mean no warranty. So be wary.

PorkoWog

Reaction score
Website
www.turt.me
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Yeah that's exactly how I feel, but I really gotta just take the risk and see how it goes. I've got my court case for my appeal to get my license back in another two weeks so I'm going to wait until then to take my car in. Whichever way court goes I'll be taking the risk with this bloke but the sooner I get my license the better it'll be; allows me to drive around to actually get checks made up.

I can say that when I showed the bloke my car, he just took a mild look at things; nothing too in depth or anything.