Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smoke coming from spark plugs

kezzaj666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore ute, Manual
My next door neighbour has a VT wagon automatic, and as he was driving down the road yesterday he heard a tapping noise then smoke pouring out from the spark plugs.

Could this be the head gasket or something more basic, to me it sounds like bad news for the car but as im a VR girl im not to sure about the VTs

any feedback appreciated

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
My next door neighbour has a VT wagon automatic, and as he was driving down the road yesterday he heard a tapping noise then smoke pouring out from the spark plugs.

Could this be the head gasket or something more basic, to me it sounds like bad news for the car but as im a VR girl im not to sure about the VTs

any feedback appreciated

IF it's comming from the spark plug's, Then i'd check and make sure they are in tight.
If it's comming from between the head and block, Then it will be head gasket.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Are the plugs on properly?

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
Or the rocker cover gaskets are ####ed and it's leaking oil onto the headers. Causing the smoke.

Common problem.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Or the rocker cover gaskets are ####ed and it's leaking oil onto the headers. Causing the smoke.

Common problem.

This. Pretty quick and cheap job to replace the gaskets if you do it yourself.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Has this been accompanied by a drop in power? Could be a broken piston. Get him to remove the oil filler plug and see if the smoke comes out of there afterwards.

The other thing would be to ask him if he was doing anything to his car between when everything was OK and the smoke coming out of the spark plugs. For example, if he just washed his engine and then took the car for a drive you could get steam coming out near the spark plugs.

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
+1 to rocker cover gaskets, check them first, quick and easy to fix if that's all it is, and it's the most likely problem.

kezzaj666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore ute, Manual
thanks heeps guys for the feedback im going to tow it home tom arvo and check it out on saturday ill have a look at a few of the things you have just suggested and see if it could be any of these things, really appreciate all the help, ill keep you posted what happens with it