Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

snapped swaybar link

python_hunter1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
has anyone ever snaped a swaybar link pin? i was driving down the main st yesterday, when i heard an almighty bang from the front left followed by a heavy clunking sound. i knew something had broken as i saw it dissapear in the rear view mirror. after pulling over and inspecting, i saw the front l/h swaybar link had snapped in half and was still attatched to the bar but not at the strut. the links were replaced about 5000k's ago with the super pro z links. i collected the broken bits off the road and the bushes were still in a1 cond. has anyone had this happen before. needless to say ive just bought a new link kit and also new struts for the front. i was only traveling at 10km/h at the time and the car never gets thrashed. so has anyone heard of them snaping before?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
yeh ive seen them pop the nuts off and strip the threads or snap and pop out

ive found since when you put them on you need to have the suspension level and do both up level, if ones done up tighter than the other or the suspension isn't level when putting them on then it makes it much tighter swaying one way to the other, some people do them up way to tight as well.

python_hunter1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
this one snaped at about the half way mark. no clunking or rattles before hand and were both fitted correctly?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
got a dud perhaps then

python_hunter1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
yeah thats what i reckon. you can see where it snaped that the metal is very porus.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sounds like typical superpro stuff,I had nothing but trouble with that brand when I tried them ages ago,especially their urethane bushes, they are rubbish...

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
yep had 1 snap doing about 60 around a long sweeping bend,scared the **** out of me with the bang that it made...