Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SNEAKY & cheap DIY ENGINE IMMOBILIZER For vn-vr

nfsuaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive wagon
HI ALL

i think i have the right section but moderators can feel free to move my thread if they wish.

i was just stuffing around today trying to figure out a way to make a good cheap engine immobilizer.
and i ended up building this for nothing out of scrap around the home
but all the stuff will only cost about $5 tops

NOW BEFORE I GO ON THIS IS IN NO WAY A PERFECT SOLUTION AND IS NOT FOOL PROOF. THE CAR MAY STILL BE STARTED IF SOME DODGY PRICK GOT UNDER THE CAR WITH A SCREW DRIVER BUT THAT IS SUS ANYWAY IT IS NOT MY FAULT IF YOUR CAR IS STOLEN!

you will need (or just stuff around and think for yourself if you don't have something on the list)

a small soft momentary switch that is normally open (off)
some 2mm heat shrink
a soldering iron and solder
a hot glue gun
wire cutters
1/2m speaker wire (he he im dodgy)
old mate zipp ties
and some sort of scrap for the bracket to hold the switch.

now i wanted a switch that could NOT be seen "AT ALL" no matter how hard someone looked
so i came up with this
Image185we.jpg

all i do is hold my finger on this spot while turning the key and the car starts

To do this remove the center console (do a search if you don't know how)
until you are down to here.
Image183s.jpg

now ya wanna extend the 2 ends of the wire you cut with some speaker wire down past the hand brake with enough length so you can easily solder the switch in place, use the heat shrink to insulate the connections to the Grey wire then tape the loom up past the joins so would be thieves don't notice something dodgy going on since the panel above the join is very easy to remove.

now for the switch i just used a small momentary one that i got out of the power button of an old computer case but you can get something similar from jay-car for around $1.
You are going to want to make a strong and sturdy bracket to mount the switch in.
all i used was a piece of scrap plastic about 100mm long 20mm wide and 2mm thick and made a hole in the middle to hold the switch,(I DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO BUY PLASTIC)
then for the switch i just carefully hot glued the crap out of it in to place.
Image196.jpg

since my switch had such a thin button i hot glued a piece of random card board to the under side of the handbrake sock where i want the button to go so it doesn't wear a hole in the fabric over time.
Image197.jpg

then you can mount the switch, i don't know how to describe what i done here but you guys will figure it out.
Image198-1.jpg

then wire up the switch, tuck it all in to the carpet put ya center console back together and bobs ya uncle, well he might be but he aint mine.
just make sure it all works before you put it back together and make sure there are no exposed wires.

anyway that's it.

jonko

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5 ltr
thats a good idear i want to do it but i would stuff it up LOL ill tell and show my frend that has a vn

nfsuaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive wagon
yes it is one of the auto selector wire's (i actually pilled the unit apart to find the right wire) and it might be possible on manual i mean you could always run the wire down from the starter wire from the ignition barrel just make sure that it is down the loom a bit so thieves cant see it if they try to hot wire your car

nfsuaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive wagon
ya can also throw em off buy putting a switch in a visible but hidden easy to find spot(if ya know what i mean) like this one i installed for my amplifier remote wire.

Image203.jpg

nfsuaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive wagon
and if ya realy wanna scare the **** outa them just put a button someware with start written above it but hook it up to ya horn or a cheap $15 siren

=Calais v8=

Holden Tech Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 5.0L Calais, 13b ae71
if you have an auto, just take the ashtray out and disconnect the neutral start switch. car wont start. then you only have to do it when you are somewhere dodgy, and dont have to cut anything.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
and if ya realy wanna scare the **** outa them just put a button someware with start written above it but hook it up to ya horn or a cheap $15 siren

That's honestly a great idea, I wouldn't even bother with a kill switch, hahah after that.

You could also have a hidden switch that unless turned off, when the car is on acc/on/running the highbeams flash once every second, would require a simple circuit, would attract allot of attention and be hard to drive without being noticed.

You would want to do the wiring really well though, it's not the kind of circuit you want to fail and start flashing stuff all over the shop :p