Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So I got a fine yesterday...

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So I managed to get pulled over yesterday after doing a u turn on my way home from work about 400 metres away from home, and the inside wheel chirped a little. Sure enough, got pulled over by a highway patrol car and he gave me 3 fines. One for failure to maintain proper control of the vehicle, one for failure to display p plates (the front one was on the passenger side floor), and failure to carry a licence whilst on a probationary license (I literally work 1km away from home, and the one time I forget my wallet lol)

I haven't been pulled over in over 2 years, so I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. But I was just wondering whether they're always supposed to give you a written fine at the time of the incident? The guy didn't give me anything, and when I asked how much they would be he told me that he didn't know. I've done a bit of searching and it looks like it's going to cost me $520 and 3 points (points only for the p plates)

So I suppose I just have to wait until I get something in the mail. Do cops always give written fines at the time? I know that my mates that have been pulled over and fined were always given a piece of paper with their infringement on it.

I'm sure if I had the front p plate up he would've just found something else wrong anyway.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Nope doesn't have to be on the spot. I've been pulled over by a detective before and received the fine in the mail two weeks later.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
You'll get it in the mail. I got pulled over a few years ago for not having my headlights on (apparently you're suppose to have them on at sunset, not when street lights come on...) and not indicating out of a roundabout, got the fine in the mail about a week or two later.

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
Wouldnt failure to maintain control of a vehicle come under careless driving so be a few points aswell (like 3-4)? Plus the 3 points for no p plate, (just going off what Ive read on the vicroads site) if it was nsw's and you were on your reds you would probably be losing your license and be just skimming by if you were on greens

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
He told me that I wouldn't be losing my licence. So I'd assume he knew what he was giving me. Maybe the p plate thing didn't carry any points but the control of vehicle thing did. I dunno, I just know it was 3 points.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Its in the mail... I got done years ago for a mobile phone. Cop wrote my details down on a hotdog wrapper... thought he was having a lend of me until a week later.

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
I didn't realise not carrying a license was an offence, i always thought you had some time to show the cops you have one. Also wouldn't they be able to bring it up on there computer and see your a licensed driver.

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
Its in the mail... I got done years ago for a mobile phone. Cop wrote my details down on a hotdog wrapper... thought he was having a lend of me until a week later.

and if it was a donut box no doubt you would of taken it more seriously........BTW that's not a disparagement on the police or donuts

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I didn't realise not carrying a license was an offence, i always thought you had some time to show the cops you have one. Also wouldn't they be able to bring it up on there computer and see your a licensed driver.

For p platers and under 25s from memory, they must have it.

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl

Some cops will give you 24 hours to come to the station and show them (well thats how it use to be) and yeah they can check on the computer but its just more stuffing around for them and people give fake names or family members names when their license is suspended ect, like on that tv show the force this guy said he was his brother so the cop wouldn't know he had no license and almost got away with it since they looked the same.

Plus its ment to be incase youre in a fatel accident its easier for them to identify you if your license is on you