Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So my engine is shaking

Isaac_bowey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
So my engine is shaking at idle but goes away at higher revs or when i have the ac on, also my rpm needle is bouncing on a cold start(engine revs going up and down also). My belt tentioner is bouncing and it looks like my harmonic balancer is slightly moving left to right (Not towards and away from the motor, seems secure) dont know if thats because of uneven power.

New coils
new sparkplugs
new fuel filter
new oil (every 7000km with oil filter)
cleaned fuel injectors
New vacume hose
New intake manifold gasket
Cleaned maf
cleaned throttle body
new water pump

Going to test compression and fuel pressure in the next couple of weeks
Should I replace the harmonic ballancer or tentioner if they come back normal because I've checked for vacume leaks and can't find any
If I were you, I would just do the normal thing and cry

Derpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore lumina
Did you find the issue mate? Mine shakes without a/c on (its an RPM thing that must iron out the lump/shakes) I have chain noise too though and the wrecker told me its about to let go which is causing the shaking - ie a timing issue due to sloppy chain
Nah i don't have the chain issue, you should have a powertrain issue pop up on your dash or atleast an engine light though if it's the timing chain stretch, I can see my harmonic balancer moving like its off center and my belt tentioner jumping up and down so that's worn out too, but to be fair don't ditch the car because of a timing chain stretch, just fix it before your valves become a part of your pistons , you can do your own research and fix it yourself and save **** tons, get a mechanic to look over it first, because you don't want to be fixing something that ain't broken

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Nah i don't have the chain issue, you should have a powertrain issue pop up on your dash or atleast an engine light though if it's the timing chain stretch, I can see my harmonic balancer moving like its off center and my belt tentioner jumping up and down so that's worn out too, but to be fair don't ditch the car because of a timing chain stretch, just fix it before your valves become a part of your pistons , you can do your own research and fix it yourself and save **** tons, get a mechanic to look over it first, because you don't want to be fixing something that ain't broken
yeh im going to swing it past the mechanic tomorrow. my mate is a mechanic and he's listened to it and reckons he can hear the chain running on guides - there is a lot of grit in the oil filter so maybe that's shaved plastic ? not sure ay

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
yeh im going to swing it past the mechanic tomorrow. my mate is a mechanic and he's listened to it and reckons he can hear the chain running on guides - there is a lot of grit in the oil filter so maybe that's shaved plastic ? not sure ay
not good. the mechanics said no doubt the tensioners are too far gawn. but.... $1800 later inclusive of a genuine kit for $1015 and GST - the nightmare will be over. hopefully it fixes the shake as well because the coil pack I replaced this arvo did FA

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Just buy a cheap set of chains and put them on yourself, mate. They work fine.

All you need is a 3/8 socket set and a wheel puller for the harmonic balancer, although a torque wrench is nice if you got one. It is listed as a minor service operation in the manual because it only takes a jiffy. Hell, for $18 000 you could buy a new car... That is just robbery for that job.

Sure your shaking is not the engine mounts? They are hydraulic mounts, and when they get old the engine wobbles like mad at idle. Only sits straight when you boot it.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Just buy a cheap set of chains and put them on yourself, mate. They work fine.

All you need is a 3/8 socket set and a wheel puller for the harmonic balancer, although a torque wrench is nice if you got one. It is listed as a minor service operation in the manual because it only takes a jiffy. Hell, for $18 000 you could buy a new car... That is just robbery for that job.

Sure your shaking is not the engine mounts? They are hydraulic mounts, and when they get old the engine wobbles like mad at idle. Only sits straight when you boot it.
yeh mounts are shot too brother. it's $1800 and yeh you can get a pretty decent VX VY for that but will still need a strong of maintenance. the last 4 VX's and VY's ive bought have all needed diff bearings and engine mounts and half didnt have working A/C