Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So the big Question Normal or Electric Handbreak?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
The only annoying thing is with the manual you get used to being able to roll back at an intersection if you are sticking out too far, but the electric hand brake doesn't allow you to do that.

Learn to drive?

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
Learn to drive?

Sometimes when you can't see the traffic because of parked cars being too close you creep out and have to move back if there is a car coming. With the electric hand brake you have to put it in reverse rather than roll back. After years of driving a manual it is a bit strange when you have to put it in reverse like an auto. Actually even in a normal auto you used to be able to put it in neutral and roll back. If you put it in neutral in the auto's does it release the electric handbrake?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Sometimes when you can't see the traffic because of parked cars being too close you creep out and have to move back if there is a car coming. With the electric hand brake you have to put it in reverse rather than roll back. After years of driving a manual it is a bit strange when you have to put it in reverse like an auto. Actually even in a normal auto you used to be able to put it in neutral and roll back. If you put it in neutral in the auto's does it release the electric handbrake?

What about when you're facing downhill? Like I said in my previous post............... ah forget it!

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
I guess I will learn this soon enough, but if you wanted to roll back in neutral with a manual, could you just lift the electric handbrake button to release it?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I guess I will learn this soon enough, but if you wanted to roll back in neutral with a manual, could you just lift the electric handbrake button to release it?

Good to hear someone's thinking.

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute

Yes you can do all those things. My point is that after years of driving a manual you get into the habit of doing things a certain way and it's hard to break the habit. The electric brake definitely has more advantages than disadvantages.

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
use your brake pedal. apply handbrake when your in the satisfactory position.
appart from doing hecktic skidddzzz there is no advantage to using old technology.
time to break bad habbits.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
none, I rarely use a handbrake.

As a matter of fact my first car didn't even have one drove it like that for more than 10 years, never parked on a steep hill always left in gear.

Current cars, meh just put them in park.

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
One other little annoyance I remembered was that the handbrake light goes off too quickly. Sometimes when you pull the switch to engage the handbrake a bit too fast it doesn't engage. Then once you've actually put the handbrake on, the light doesn't stay on until you've left the car. So if you put the hand brake on and then fiddle around for things in the car the light goes out and you sometimes think that the hand brake hasn't been engaged, so you have to pull it up again. Only to think, hang-on haven't I already put the handbrake on?

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
One other little annoyance I remembered was that the handbrake light goes off too quickly. Sometimes when you pull the switch to engage the handbrake a bit too fast it doesn't engage. Then once you've actually put the handbrake on, the light doesn't stay on until you've left the car. So if you put the hand brake on and then fiddle around for things in the car the light goes out and you sometimes think that the hand brake hasn't been engaged, so you have to pull it up again. Only to think, hang-on haven't I already put the handbrake on?

i ####ING KNEW I WASNT GOING MAD. I KNOW I PUT YOU ON GOD DAMNIT.