Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So the big Question Normal or Electric Handbreak?

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
It's taken me a year to work out that is what was happening and I wasn't going mad.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
A year? seriously MAAAAATE!

Pull the button up and trust it. Shrug. ;)

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
A year? seriously MAAAAATE!

Pull the button up and trust it. Shrug. ;)

Yeah sometimes if you flick the button up too quickly it doesn't engage and if the steering wheel is in the wrong spot and it blocks the light, while you are looking around for other stuff in the car you have no idea whether or not it was on. Pulling up a handbrake level meant a lot less thinking and trying to look over the steering wheel at a light on the dash. Obviously if it has taken me a year to work that the light goes off then anything that means less thinking is a good thing.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
As i said in title, now don't get me wrong i like the idea of an electric handbreak but it has its ups and downs, i've done dangerous driving courses, i also know how to skid/burnouts, but im not writing this in regards to that.

There is some situations where a "Normal" Handbreak will come into a must, such as dangerous situations on the road, someone pulling out on u sometimes the break isn't enough if u can get ur car to swerve around them etc now i know it would rarely happen, but there is also **** like ur breaks failing but i doubt that will happen

Anyway has anyone done this ? taken out their "Electric" for a "normal" one, ? if so how mcuh did u pay did u do it ur self ? And if u havn't does anyone have a price idea ? i've thought about it i doubt i will do it but its just something i gave thought at one point.

Also whats your opinions on the electric handbreak "WHICH DO YOU PREFER NORMAL OR ELECTRIC" ? and why do you prefer!

Never heard of a 'dangerous driving course'. Have heard of Advanced Driving Courses. Never heard of one that advocates skids or burnouts. Using the handbrake in an emergency would really only apply if you experienced a complete failure of the 4 wheel hydraulic system. Very unlikely in a correctly maintained vehicle. Besides, modern vehicles have many enhancements that will actually improve the braking force(s) in an emergency stop. Think they call it Enhanced Braking Force or similar. Have used the electronic park brake. Love it. Simple and very effective. No cables to stretch, strain or adjust. Using the 'handbrake' to swerve around something sounds pretty stupid to me. Modern vehicles also have ABS which if you had undertaken an Advanced Driving Course you would know allows you to actually steer the vehicle whilst applying full braking force(s) in order to manoeuvre obstacles/vehicles etc. Seems to me that the appeal (for you) of a manual handbrake is to do 'handbrake turns' OK if not 'on the road' but in an off-road controlled environment.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
on a good day, how many meds are you on at once? and are they all pescribed by your high school nurse?

Hahahaha, quote of the century!!

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
As i said in title, now don't get me wrong i like the idea of an electric handbreak but it has its ups and downs, i've done dangerous driving courses, i also know how to skid/burnouts, but im not writing this in regards to that.

There is some situations where a "Normal" Handbreak will come into a must, such as dangerous situations on the road, someone pulling out on u sometimes the break isn't enough if u can get ur car to swerve around them etc now i know it would rarely happen, but there is also **** like ur breaks failing but i doubt that will happen

Anyway has anyone done this ? taken out their "Electric" for a "normal" one, ? if so how mcuh did u pay did u do it ur self ? And if u havn't does anyone have a price idea ? i've thought about it i doubt i will do it but its just something i gave thought at one point.

Also whats your opinions on the electric handbreak "WHICH DO YOU PREFER NORMAL OR ELECTRIC" ? and why do you prefer!

Are you the same guy who wants to put a v8 in your v6 ute, 'coz the misses wont let u buy a v8'?