Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sold our VE...now looking at a VF II Sportwagon, anything i should watch for?

bb_zetec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SV6 Sportwagon Slipstream Blue Black Ed.
Hi Guys,

It is with both sadness and delight that i look at moving on to a VF II SportWagon.

I have sold our VE I SSV as it was starting to get a bit long in the tooth (203,000klms).

Im concentrating my search at the moment on VFII SV6 or SV6 Black Editions as they seem the pick of the Sixes.

Anything i should be worried about with these cars?

Ideally I'm looking at something with factory warranty still, my understanding is the 2017's had a 5 year warranty?

First thing on the list will be the paddle shifters if they arent fitted...as our SSV was a manual wagon but alas we cant get one in a VFII.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

Cheers

BB

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Hi Guys,

It is with both sadness and delight that i look at moving on to a VF II SportWagon.

I have sold our VE I SSV as it was starting to get a bit long in the tooth (203,000klms).

Im concentrating my search at the moment on VFII SV6 or SV6 Black Editions as they seem the pick of the Sixes.

Anything i should be worried about with these cars?

Ideally I'm looking at something with factory warranty still, my understanding is the 2017's had a 5 year warranty?

First thing on the list will be the paddle shifters if they arent fitted...as our SSV was a manual wagon but alas we cant get one in a VFII.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

Cheers

BB
My16 VF2 had a special offer 5 yr wtty and 3yr free servicing for a time...that’s when we bought our SV6 Bl Ed ute (mid 2016).

No 5yr wtty on My17s to my knowledge..certainly not on our MY17 SS wagonpretty sure Holden didn’t feel compelled to offer many incentives on the last run.

Had a paddle shift flat bottom wheel , alloy pedals and a few other extras fitted to both vehicles on delivery.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
No 5yr wtty on My17s to my knowledge..certainly not on our MY17 SS wagonpretty sure Holden didn’t feel compelled to offer many incentives on the last run.
I got 7 years factory warranty on my motorsport edition :p

Not that a long factory warranty is hugely beneficial since Holden seems to have developed a hard line towards warranty work :rolleyes:

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
They had a hard line towards warranty work for as long as I've owned my car, 7+ years. Really sucked some of the joy out of owning it. On average 2 to 3 visits per issue. Ridiculous!

bb_zetec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm Thats a shame regarding quality, but i also have an XR6 ute so i know what its like to have questionable quality.

I like the Features and interiors available in the VF over the VE.

Where is the quality a let down..interior, build, engine? I know those LS3's can have piston slap, rocker and lifter issues, not much improvement from the previous LS2's it seems.

IS the LFX engine Overhead Cam? i assume it would be.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hmm Thats a shame regarding quality, but i also have an XR6 ute so i know what its like to have questionable quality.

I like the Features and interiors available in the VF over the VE.

Where is the quality a let down..interior, build, engine? I know those LS3's can have piston slap, rocker and lifter issues, not much improvement from the previous LS2's it seems.

IS the LFX engine Overhead Cam? i assume it would be.

Basically build quality... The interior, instrumentation, and ergonomics are better on the VF.
The seats look good, and I love the seat heaters, just not as comfortable as my Redline seats(and not a patch on HSV seats).
I actually prefer the manual adjustments on the VE seats, easier and quicker to use, compared to the motorized adjustments on the VF.
The electric power steering is a bit more precise than a hydraulic system, just feels a bit better.
There are build quality issues with the V8, as they were the last LS3's mass produced in Mexico.
Not so many quality issues with the 4V DOHC V6, but they have a design/maintenance issue with being able to turn high quality, high performance motor oil into sludge.

The VF is a great Aussie car, just don't expect the same quality as your VE.
The bodies creak and groan, my VE's are so much quieter in that respect.
My Magnum drivers door shuts like an average second hand car(crash, rattle) where as the VE's still shut with a thud(like a safe door), even though they have more KM's on the odo.

bb_zetec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the Feedback Guys.

Perhaps i should try and look for a low K VEII but they are starting to get a bit hard to get now and the IQ system they used doesnt look too good.

How good is the Mylink system in the VF's? I know it wouldnt be the latest and greatest but considering what it is.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
IMHO the MyLink in the VF is too old to be much chop; the touchscreen response is awful & it glitches occasionally such that it reboots itself.

However the interior, in general, is a way nicer place to be in a VF over a VE. A VE feels a bit depressing & downmarket when you get into one out of the base-model CVT 3 cylinder 600cc Kia you rented.

bb_zetec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes the VE is starting to look a bit drab these days.

I have the same feeling now with my FG XR6...the interior is looking really old and the touch screen is barely readable due to the angle they placed it in on the dash....the FG-X is not much better at all interior wise.

My gripes about our VE was mainly the clutch feel and clutch operation was very poor and as the K's clicked up the interior started getting shabby, as they all do, that and a high K L98 would soon need lifters etc....money i did not want to spend on an ageing car. I was also told the A/C compressor was leaking and on the way out amongst other things, and the sump had started to leak oil along with a few other weeps out of a gasket or two.

Its a shame we cant get a manual VF Wagon...but i understand they were not sold in big numbers in the VE range hence holdens decision not to provide one in the VF.

I am liking the idea of the paddle shifters and ive read they can be fitted into the VFII that does not have them installed at the dealer or factory.