Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solution to door trims falling off?

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Hi I'm trying to get the vn roadworthy to get the defect off but I'm stuck with the door trim issue. The clip things that stick to the door trims have peeled off and are nowhere to be seen... How can I make the door trims stay on that does not involve glue? Or could I get new clip things from the wreckers and glue them on? If so what glue would be the best to use that is strong?

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
you mean the inner door card? like, the vinyl crap? if so (depending on your type of clip, had different clips in different vns) you can get them from your local autobarn/repco/supercheap, they may be slightly different, may or may not need some cutting but you should be able to make them work.

if the actual slot that they fit into on the door card has been broken (a few of mine have, but the card still holds on fine missing 2-3 clips) you can either glue the clip thingos to the card, or if you're really handy you could try make a metal/fibreglass/plastic bracket to fix to the card somehow so they slot in as they would standard and can be removed and such.

if you plan to glue them on I'd suggest something stupid tough, like an epoxy glue or something. Good luck! :)

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i had this same issue with my red vp, wish i had taken pics for you. the driver side door trim had been removed and refit too many times because a window motor issue. several of the plastic circular mounts had ripped off the inside of the door card and were missing, and some just became brittle and broke into pieces.

what i did was go to the wreckers and pry off a bunch of circular mounts with a flathead screwdriver from various VS commodore door cards laying on the ground or ones people destroyed removing.

buy a small tube of black urethane adhesive, rough up the donor mount around the bare plastic edges with an abrasive of any kind. then reapply the them with a dob of urethane and wipe your finger right around the edge, even let urethane smear over the top of the mount. let dry for 24 to 48 hours, refit your door trim...

ive done a dozen or more of these fixes and not one of the mounts ever ripped off when i removed the door trim again. you can get a 100ml tube of this sikaflex stuff at bunnings or autobarn. which should be heaps...

edit: sikaflex is solvent based so cleanup is with a multi purpose paint thinner of any kind...

70464_70466.jpg

Last edited: