Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solution to Sticky fuel/temp guages

shayno1988vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 vp
ur a champion mate i've snapped 2 surounds off my dash now it's fixed thanks for the tip

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
ok, would anybody say that this would be problematic for a VR as well? mine sticks 90% of the time before giving the old tap tap tapperoo on top of the dash. if so, would be handy to have someone do a write up in the VR-VS thread.

The VN - VS have the same setup as far as the regulator thing goes so yes give it a dob of solder and it may well fix it up.:thumbsup:

voney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 3.8
Hi Gosling,

Thanks so much for this solution, i know this thread is old but the info here is invaluable.

Also the problem on mine was not the voltage regulator but the 3 contacts on the bottom og the tacho actuator, re-soldered them and now it's all fine.

Ando227

Serious?
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Series II Ute
Sounds like the way to go... All 4 of the guages (fuel, revs, speed and temp) stick until i give the dash a tap... Will do as soon as i get a solder

xtreme_sony

MY VP IS NOW A MANUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Series 2, 3.8L Executive
Thank You

My Gauges were sticky aswell in my 93 Series II VP, then i decided to search for a solution, i re-soldered the 3-pin, but i also re-soldered the 9 pin that the plug goes in to aswell, i was just making sure all the solder was good and not dry. I Just did it in bout 25 mins. I Just re-soldered though but for future knowledge, what does Dry Solder look like, How can i tell if its dry ?.:dance:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
. I Just re-soldered though but for future knowledge, what does Dry Solder look like, How can i tell if its dry ?.:dance:

It's a term used to discribe a broken soldered joint as far as I know. If you look real close you may see acrack runing through the joint. I used a fine point scribe to run over the solder. Found 3 cracks this way.

xtreme_sony

MY VP IS NOW A MANUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Series 2, 3.8L Executive
Thanks

It's a term used to discribe a broken soldered joint as far as I know. If you look real close you may see acrack runing through the joint. I used a fine point scribe to run over the solder. Found 3 cracks this way.

That shall help me in the future when doing more things like this, cheers mate.:whistling

commodore_grant

VP COMMODORE S-PAC
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore s-pac 3.8 V6
could u shed more light on this

does anyone have a picture of the dash (one with a tacho) and the points that need to be soldered cause im still a bit lost on the subject and if anyone could help that be great

ibs87

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 Vp Calais 5.0l
does anyone know how to fix the speedo frm fluctuating all over the place and then goes to zero. other days it works fine..jus wen u think its fixed it duz it again? is it speed sensor or cluster???