Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SOLVED - 2005 VZ Commodore Error code "P161 - configuration mismatch (to instruments)"

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute & VF SSV Redline II
Don’t mean to be rude, but I’m not buying a car or stepping foot in a car yard that’s named Fair Dinkum Auto, sounds suss as.

Sando06

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ Executive
Sounds pretty suss. That would happen if another cluster has been installed (maybe to hide kms) and it doesn’t match the car. It probably had 400,000kms and they put a cluster in with 220,000 on it.

It might be a cluster from a V8 or it might be from a Berlina or Calais. It could be looking for airbags that don’t exist. There is some configuration data that isn’t right.

You can send the cluster off to be set up to the VINs configuration. Exec will be V6, sedan, drivers airbag. Passenger airbag. ABS. Auto.

I would also do some detective work on the VIN in vehicle registration records and previous sales info. See if it has been smashed, or you might find a historical record of the kms it has.

Make sure the VIN on the radiator support matches the VIN on the firewall and the VIN in the corner of the windscreen. The rivets should be stainless on the VIN plates and be like slight little flower shapes. Not round rivets. I can’t recall if there is also a VIN stamped just in front of the drivers seat on the floor under a flap of carpet. (Might be VE)

They should not have been able to sell the car with SRS faults.
Where would i send off to?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
LSxtreme or Envyous Customs can set it up. Your problem is the car might still produce faults.

I would also contact your states Consumer Affairs Dept because they can’t sell a car with a different cluster and malfunction warning light. You might be able to get your money back on the purchase.

Sando06

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ Executive
LSxtreme or Envyous Customs can set it up. Your problem is the car might still produce faults.

I would also contact your states Consumer Affairs Dept because they can’t sell a car with a different cluster and malfunction warning light. You might be able to get your money back on the purchase.
The car was listed 'as is' so theres nothing i can do about that

Sando06

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ Executive

And why would it still produce faults?

Sando06

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ Executive
FOUND A FIX!!!!! -
What happens is the battery starts to die and doesnt supply enough voltage to power the IPC which stores SRS configuration information, but still powers the SDM module which also stores the info. Because the SDM cant talk to the IPC, its sets a code "configuration mismatch".

Once a new battery is fitted its a simple case of clearing the code.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
FOUND A FIX!!!!! -
What happens is the battery starts to die and doesnt supply enough voltage to power the IPC which stores SRS configuration information, but still powers the SDM module which also stores the info. Because the SDM cant talk to the IPC, its sets a code "configuration mismatch".

Once a new battery is fitted its a simple case of clearing the code.
dont know where you read that
but i have never heard that before