Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Some Advice on Finishing a Spray Job

SVNDR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VXII Exec
So i just finished painting my trolley strips white, for the second time. The first time i think put to heavy coat of clear on and it turned the white a dirty colour.
This 2nd time i painted i didnt end up using the clear. Now the paint feels rather rough, and feels like it would scratch off rather easy, almost chalky like feel. Just wondering if not putting a coat of clear on is a bad idea? Will the paint scratch off easier in the long run? Also, instead of using the clear is there anything i can do to "finish" off the job too insure the paint does not peel and last a good while?

Thanks

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
what are the trolley strips made of? what brand of base color are you using? what clear are we talking about (1k or 2k)? are all these paints in pressure packs (could be your prob)? if the strips are a plastic or rubber of some sort and bare (no coating on them) youll need a plastic primer to ensure adhesion. as to the problems you having with the paint i have no idea cause not sure what you even using...

SVNDR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VXII Exec
what are the trolley strips made of? what brand of base color are you using? what clear are we talking about (1k or 2k)? are all these paints in pressure packs (could be your prob)? if the strips are a plastic or rubber of some sort and bare (no coating on them) youll need a plastic primer to ensure adhesion. as to the problems you having with the paint i have no idea cause not sure what you even using...

i have already primed and painted ext. just need to know if a coat or two of clear is needed or what else i can use?

the trim is plastic and the paint i used was power plus touch up paint from SCA

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
clear is out of a proper gun? 1k or 2k clear? reduced how much if reduced at all?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Clear is not needed on solid colours, clear is only needed to seal metallic paint (excluding COB systems).

The chalky easy to scratch off description you gave sounds like it was sprayed dry, either holding the gun too far away from surface, drying too quick, not enough or incorrect thinners or too hot spray area temp or a combination of al, if it was primed and prepared properlyl.