Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Some issues on my 2013 SV6 VF Commodore

Reaction score
Website
nztechblog.net
Members Ride
2013 Holden Commodore VF SV6
Hello everyone, I've just done a warrant of fitness (in NZ) and it's failed due to front left and right lower suspension control arm bushings have play in them. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to replace these in Auckland?

Secondly, they also noticed that the front and rear subframe structure has a bit of rust developing and may need attention soon. How hard is this to repair and or stop from growing bigger? Thanks.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Hello everyone, I've just done a warrant of fitness (in NZ) and it's failed due to front left and right lower suspension control arm bushings have play in them. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to replace these in Auckland?

Secondly, they also noticed that the front and rear subframe structure has a bit of rust developing and may need attention soon. How hard is this to repair and or stop from growing bigger? Thanks.
Dont know how much to do the work in Auckland - I can advise on Sydney though, since I have replaced most of the front suspension bit by bit, as I found wear that didn't fit with my OCD. The ball joints in mine were wriggly.
I noticed that good quality bushes/balljoints cost much the same as the whole arms, plus the hassle of getting them out, so I replaced the control arms complete. There are used parts on ebay but meh - they've probably been in a shunt and are worn out and munted.
There are cheap new parts on ebay but I prefered Super Pro arms (for my OCD) e.g. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165598748401 but these guys only show delivery to Australia. Dunno what the local guys can do for you.
The changeover job takes a few ugga duggas.
If you have access to a workshop you can do more than I can in terms of changing out ball joints/bushings.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
With the subframe, maybe see if you can get one for cheap used, then you can treat that one and get them swapped over.
I would say a good sand blast and powder coat should stop the rust.

Or you could get it acid dipped and E coated which is basically electro podwer coating if I remember correctly.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The sub frame would probably only have surface rust. Easy to rub off and spray some black paint over it.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
The sub frame would probably only have surface rust. Easy to rub off and spray some black paint over it.
Oops forgot about the surface rust (hopefully that is all you have).
Best passivate with rust coverter after cleaning off what rust you can see first e.g. Ranex at Bunnings, but there are plenty of other products on the market. Done the same with mine, since I live near the coast.
Then paint. Black covers up many problems ;)