Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Some questions...

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
Just wondering how hard it is to to chuck some of those chrome steering wheel spokes in place of the current ones I have now - I have the leather wrap wheel and the spokes are currently those light grey metallic ones. If I have to remove the entire airbag, I probably won't worry about it, but if somebody could let me know, that would be great :)

I also wanna know if it is possible to just 'exchange' the horn from my VY Berlina with one of the VY calais horns which sound alot more beastier... since they could be hard to come by, does anybody know if other models (eg. WH Statesman, VX/VT Calais, VZ Calais) would be a straight fit?.... not really keen on messing around too much just wanna swap n go.

Thanks,

Ben.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Just wondering how hard it is to to chuck some of those chrome steering wheel spokes in place of the current ones I have now - I have the leather wrap wheel and the spokes are currently those light grey metallic ones. If I have to remove the entire airbag, I probably won't worry about it, but if somebody could let me know, that would be great :)

I also wanna know if it is possible to just 'exchange' the horn from my VY Berlina with one of the VY calais horns which sound alot more beastier... since they could be hard to come by, does anybody know if other models (eg. WH Statesman, VX/VT Calais, VZ Calais) would be a straight fit?.... not really keen on messing around too much just wanna swap n go.

Thanks,

Ben.

Hey Ben

Fitting the satin silver spokes is pretty easy.

After disconnecting the battery and the airbage fuse, the airbag can be removed by inserting a small screwdriver into the four slots at the rear of the steering wheel and gently levering each retaining clip free. Each corner of the airbag will pop up as the clip is released.

Lift the airbag away carefully and disconnect the horn and airbag wiring connectors.

Next, undo the two screws holding the back face of the steering wheel in place. Then, unclip the rear face and rotate it a few degrees. This will give you access to the screws that hold each spoke in place. Unscrew each spoke, pull it off the wheel and fit the new one. Installation is a reverse of the removal procedures. The airbag just clips into place at each corner.

The horn can be left in as it is the same as one of the Calais ones. All you need to do is get another horn, perhaps from a wrecked Stato or Calais, and fit it to the other side of the chassis, where the wiring is already in place. The Calais and Stato's just had high and low note horns fitted instead of just the one, although I don't know whether the standard horn is the high or low note one. Just make sure you get the opposite to the one already fitted.

vy_03

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
for someone who doesnt know anything about car mechanics, would it be safe for me to do the same thing? i just bought some silver spokes for my VY.

cmacra10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Wagon
Yeah mate, safe as. Just remember to disconnect the battery and take out airbag fuse and let sit for 10 mins. This ensures no charge is still in the power system to set off the airbags when you unplug them/plug them in

The main thing is to make sure you have a leather wheel with removeable spokes. The standard Moulded rubber wheels have rubber spokes built in and cannot be taken out.

Villan_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 02 V6

Thanks,

Ben.

You want to sell the light grey ones as i have black and i just dont like the look

vy_03

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Yeah mate, safe as. Just remember to disconnect the battery and take out airbag fuse and let sit for 10 mins. This ensures no charge is still in the power system to set off the airbags when you unplug them/plug them in

The main thing is to make sure you have a leather wheel with removeable spokes. The standard Moulded rubber wheels have rubber spokes built in and cannot be taken out.

AH
Mine is a standard VY wheel, so you're saying i must also buy a leather wheel?

vy_03

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore