Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Something funny going on with the key

Cryogenic

Indifferent
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 HSV VX Clubsport
my VR does this as well. bizarre. What is odd is that both of my keys do the same. So dunno if it's the car or the keys.

J

jayderichards

my vr has two keys. both are holden originals l believe, but the one l'm having the same problem with IS the original 94 VR keyhead (can tell by the back emblem). But, if l use the newer keyhead, not a problem in the world with it. My partner and l have only used the new one up till yesterday when l went to unlock the car and start it. I'm thinking mine might be battery related though... l checked the circuitboard and it looks brand new.

kenwstr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
umm how did you buy an already programmed key head? they kinda need to to be in the ignition of that car to progam them

Well No they don't, If you have the car security card, the right locksmith can program the new head. You just have to initialise the new head in the ignition before you use it.

Ken

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
Just make sure that when you use the old key that the pin actually touches the outer ring on the lock surround. I've had troubles with my key since I pulled it apart and supa-glued it back together. Got a new key programmed by Mr Minute on the weekend ($79.95, 20% discount coupon in the paper)and he had trouble getting the code off the old key because the pin wasn't touching the sensor on his machine properly (he ended up using a thin battery to short it across and read perfectly). He then coded the new head and it works a treat. The old key I have to push at a slight angle and works perfectly every time now. He said when I glued it up I must have pushed the pin down slightly and glued it there.

J

jayderichards

I changed my battery and it's still playing up. I've tried the outer ring touching the lock surround... l think my key has finally had it! Mind you it does have an button worn down

J

jc58nc

id say its probably an ECU problem

And?:bang:

If you turn your key on and your immobilization led is still flashing the BCM has not read the key head properly. Sometimes it's just a matter of cleaning the contact ring and the pin on the key head with an abrasive pad, soap and water. Worked for me:thumbsup:

J

jayderichards

I took an abrasive pad to the tip of my problem remote key and did as jc58nc and it worked as said. Perfect! Thanks

irontusk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive s2
have a go at changing the battey inside the key