Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Something Went wrong With the transmission or Just Dust coming

Aalbloshi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore WL / Caprice 2005 SS
So today i Started my Car And Got out of the car waiting for it to warm up, was just looking aroung until i saw A lot of Oil Leaking out from the Area where Transmission Oil hoses and trans radiator is, as i was Going close to check It Some Smoke (just Barely Visible Came from that side) i went inside the car and quickly turned it off, Turns out the Hose from the transmission cooler was Leaking badly , Replaced it by my self and Topped up the Gear oil, i didn’t start the car, I’m too scared to start the car because of that smoke or Whatever it was, i Started the Car for like a min and all this happend, What should i do? And Is it Bad For transmission To run without oil for like 30 seconds max?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Oil probably sprayed on hot engine/exhaust etc so degrease the area where the smoke came from ( engine cold of course) then start it, let it warm up, then check the oil level within 30 seconds of turning it off or, by pulling the dip stick, clean it, quickly insert it and remove it.
Should not have hurt it but you don't say how much oil you had to put in so, this is the only way to find out.

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Also once it's replaced and degreased as rambunctious said, don't be alarmed if it still smokes a bit as it burns off what you missed.

Just ensure there are no more leaks in the bay or under the car when you run it.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
a little may have been lost in the translation
i assume you checked the transmission fluid, with engine running and topped up as required
how much did you need to add, if more than 2-3 litres, a bit concerning but nothing you can do about it now
less than that, dont worry
keep on driving

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I must assume you had the CORRECT transmission fluid in your garage to top it up.
Why would you have that, or has it been leaking previously?

Nonsense to be warming up any modern vehicle.
Bad for the car and dreadful waste of fuel.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I must assume you had the CORRECT transmission fluid in your garage to top it up.

Is a 2005 vehicle modern now though?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
You have to remember that engines have metals, which expand and contract... Not warming up an engine accelerates wear on engine components which doesn't help with longevity... Let's be honest, how much fuel are you really wasting when warming up your car? A small price to pay to ensure your engine lasts longer...

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon

Correct transmission fluid ? no ! he walked to the closet well and stole some.
Waste of fuel ???
What does fuel cost in Saudi.
C'mon !

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Replaced it by my self and Topped up the Gear oil
I hope you used the correct automatic transmission fluid and not gear oil. Those are two different things and gear oil will be bad news for an automatic transmission.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
You have to remember that engines have metals, which expand and contract... Not warming up an engine accelerates wear on engine components which doesn't help with longevity... Let's be honest, how much fuel are you really wasting when warming up your car? A small price to pay to ensure your engine lasts longer...
Fuel injected cars don’t need to be warmed up. Just wait the 30 seconds odd that it high idles for (to help warm up the catalytic converter) and be on your way.

The only important thing is to not flog the car while it’s still cold. Keep it below about 2500-3000rpm and it’s not going to cause any issues or increase wear in any meaningful way.