Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sorted out, reliable Commodore: which model?

Renaissance

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Seeking some advice as to the best model of Commodore 1998-2008.

We had a VS which served us exceptionally well: finally retired at 470,000 km's with honour! Because I knew the model so well I replaced it with almost exactly the same, VS Series 2 Equipe. Once again, this car is over 300,000 km's and I have no complaints. It seems that the VS is a well sorted out and reliable car, with few major issues.

I'm wanting to move to a newer model Commodore, but in a sense it is a risk. I know the VS, I know it's reliable, I know what I am getting.

So this is the question: what would those who know more than I do recommend as the best model from the 10 or so years following the VS?

Any advice welcome! :)

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
VS was the last of the second generation Commodores, so by that theory, the VZ should be the best out of the third generation Commodores.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
VS was the last of the second generation Commodores, so by that theory, the VZ should be the best out of the third generation Commodores.

Not really. The VZ had a completely new engine and new autos and manuals in Calais and SV6. The VY was the last of the old Ecotecs and although it still suffered its share of maladies, it was a pretty well sorted car. The VZ suffers from some persistent problems related to the "new" mechanicals so, although I'm probably biased, I think the VY was the best of the period in question, so far as reliability goes.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Fair point. I had a VY for 3 and a half years, and my current VZ is a much better car. Plus the VY will be 10 years old next year.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
My Vy does pretty well.. Haven't had any problems really besides the inlet manifold gasket going but it happened at 190xxx k's which is a pretty damn good effort.

Phillshz

Reaction score
Members Ride
car
Roller cam vt's are supposed to be solid.

Engine is fine,rest of VT S1 is not so good(they fall apart around you)
VZ like VS is the last of the generation and holden do manage to get right by the end,also VZ`s were given much more effort and TLC as holden was in full swing exporting them to south africa,middle east and USA(ever notice that monaro`s got the most attention from VY to VZ change) they had to have them done right to help get a good name overseas and sell as the US is where the money is at,unfornately the yanks just didn`t take to the monaro and it`s sales stalled.

Last edited:

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Stay with the vs man , Like you said ,
you know whats in it and that
parts are cheap
plenty at wreckers to get parts off if something happens
Lighter then the other cars that came after it

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Id go with a VX, They are the 3rd version of the VT IMO, both S1 & S2 VTs had issues. So the VX is like a 3rd version and have next to no known issues.
I got both a VX & VY, i have had to repair the VY more then the VX. The VX just Clicked 220k and still purring like a kitten.

But go here.

Faults - VT

This will show you every modal with all the common problems.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Yep i'll go with VX s2 pretty much a fully sorted VT.