Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sound System Help

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
Hey Guy's,

I need some advice in regards to what's recommended for a sound system in a vx commodore. Budget is very limited so:

Currently I have:
Sony XAV622 Headunit
Fusion Encounter Components
Fusion Encounter Coaxials

I'm looking for a decent improvement on this, so basically I just want to know what is the best value for my money.

I will be keeping the Sony Headunit (love the time alignment and reverse cam)
I have bought:
Alpine SPS-610C for front stage
Alpine SPS-610G for rear fill

So next should I:
1. Run the alpines off the headunit set my HPF, get a sub to run the bottom end and leave it.
Or
2. Amp Front stage and sound deaden all doors and leave it (no HPF) hoping speakers can provide the bass I'm looking for.

I don't listen to music overly loud (not loud enough to distort current fusions running off headunit) but I do like a bit of bass.

What's recommended? Or any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I have fusion splits in the front doors of my stato, and amping them was the best thing I could've done for the sound system. Get a good amp for those speakers (even though they're pretty cheap - they seem to be pretty good!) and I reckon you'll be happy

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
I would personally go for option 2, to start with. Then add a sub and amp later on. You'll end up with a much nicer sounding system then, rather than running the Alpines off the HU, and not having deadened doors.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
Should I amp all my speakers and deaden all my doors or is the extra cost of doing the rear not worth it, considering its mainly for rear fill?

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Deadening always makes an improvement, but having said that I used to compete in the Sound Quality comps with no deadened rear doors, and was scoring 2nd's and 3rds against shop cars. I'd concentrate on getting the front doors and boot deadened first, before worrying about the rear doors.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
If you don't have your music stupidly loud then what about getting a sub and 4 channel amp? Pick the right one and you can push 50-75watts into the front doors with hpf(and that's pretty loud) and still have 150-200@4 ohm for a subwoofer on the rear channels.

Then when funds permit you can get sound deadening for the doors and a mono block to push the sub to its full potential. You can then go crazy and bridge the 4 channel to drive the front doors into oblivion or be more normal and use it to power front and rears.

That would be my next logical step. Reality is, I wouldn't have purchased the alpine speakers until after I was unsatisfied with them once the amp is on... Unless...I didn't like the tweeter. Its fairly easy to adjust the eq on the xav622 to get crap speakers sounding good but if a tweeter is too harsh from the beginning. Well, you know what they say about polishing turds and pushing **** uphill haha

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
Thanks for the reply tasmaniak.

I have since changed my mind on speakers. A friend is bringing me back some goodies, cheap from the US.

I have:
MB Quart OKC116
MB Quart OSC216
and
MB Quart OA800.4

For now I will be deadening the front doors, and powering all speakers off the amp. I'm assuming that by powering the speakers off an external amp I will lose the time alignment ability of my headunit?

I will see how this sounds, and get a sub down the track.