Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sourcing shockers for Monaro from US

johnnyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF V6 Falcon
I'm looking at replacing my OEM shockers for my VY Monaro.

I'm considering KYB AGX's or Koni's however I'm leaning towards Koni's...

I've looked at prices for the above from US sellers (ebay and other websites) and they're CONSIDERABLY cheaper to buy from the US than they are from Oz. Unfortunately I'm not 100% sure on the part numbers as the Oz part numbers are different to the US ones.

My best guess would be to look at part numbers for the Pontiac GTO; but I want to be sure they're going to fit.

Has anyone had similar experience? Any suggestions? :)

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
I can't see why they wouldn't be the same. Pontiac GTO just uses FE2 springs/shocks.

noddys VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1 V8
I would not risk it, Where i work we sell and fit konis, The front struts are a chop and insert type fit with the koni, So if the GTO runs a slightly bigger or smaller strut they wont work. Its the width of the strut. There is also a short stroke and a long stroke shocker also. Also the part numbers all around the world for konis is the same. The valving of the shockers is diffrent though, If you go cheap you will sell your self short in the long run. When konis are done right they work very. I would not risk it especially if the numbers don't match.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Koni's FTW, I tried using KYB AGX (cheaper adjustable alternative) but the AGX spring seat fouled my 245/35x19 tyres where as the Koni's inserts fitted inside Monroe housings give me no clearence issues.
BTW the Pontiac GTO is basically our monaro so the struts and shocks are the same, everything interchangable .
Here is a pic of the rubbing on the AGX.
DSC058931600x1200.jpg

Richard Moss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevrolet Lumina Coupe S (Monaro CV6)
But that wasn't a problem caused by the shocks, was it? It was oversized wheels that were issue.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
No not at all, 245/35x19 are the std size for all VZ HSV's.
No clearence issues with any Monroe housings (genuine, GT gas, GT Sports etc) and also know a guy with Normal KYB gas and he has no problems running same size tyres .
But the KYB AGX's rubbed and have heard similar stories from others that tried using AGX with any tyre bigger than 225/235 width.
May KYB use a different housing for the AGX

Richard Moss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevrolet Lumina Coupe S (Monaro CV6)
Didn't realise that the standard tyres were that wide.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon