Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SpaceX Starship Launch (Attempt) #3

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What ever the cause, I'm sure on the next one it'll be right.

I doubt they wanted it to come down in one piece, I'm sure there are people/countries who'd love to get a hold of it. Having that door not seal properly was always going to end badly (just ask the shuttle crew what happens when all that heat makes it's way inside the ship).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I doubt re-entry was on the cards, this thing dragged its bum all over the atmosphere, mostly sub-orbital. I think the whole point was to prove delta v was possible and that they did, while making sure they didn't wipe out a country town
Ah they were playing the old statistical game of life and death for us land dwellers :p

What ever the cause, I'm sure on the next one it'll be right.

I doubt they wanted it to come down in one piece, I'm sure there are people/countries who'd love to get a hold of it. Having that door not seal properly was always going to end badly (just ask the shuttle crew what happens when all that heat makes it's way inside the ship).
If they didn’t want it to come down in one piece and preferred to have it burn up in the atmosphere, they’d not have put protective tiles all over it to help with its vaporisation :rolleyes:

But I'm sure they wanted to test as much as possible including reentry attitude control, heat tile performance and ability to transition from hypersonic to supersonic to sane speeds, all the way to splashdown.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
they wont do the complete ship in the tiles as they only need it on one side and musk reckons the stainless exterior lasts alot longer then any other synthetic outer shell for re entry, also i seen a video of one of those tiles testing and they had a blow torch on it and it was red hot then someone just lifted it up and moved it with bare hands, it is that good it can be red hot on one side but cool to touch on the opposite

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The zone I saw marked for landing in the Indian Ocean is currently affected by a very grumpy tropical low. Christmas Islands and Cocos copped a bit of a flogging from this one the ocean in the region is lively
IMG_6214.jpeg

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
The zone I saw marked for landing in the Indian Ocean is currently affected by a very grumpy tropical low. Christmas Islands and Cocos copped a bit of a flogging from this one the ocean in the region is lively View attachment 265411
aah could have scored a new raptor engine...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
aah could have scored a new raptor engine...
Someone would still say they are shite in a Commodore. Probably Luxifer.

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
they wont do the complete ship in the tiles as they only need it on one side and musk reckons the stainless exterior lasts alot longer then any other synthetic outer shell for re entry, also i seen a video of one of those tiles testing and they had a blow torch on it and it was red hot then someone just lifted it up and moved it with bare hands, it is that good it can be red hot on one side but cool to touch on the opposite
if the comment was directed at me, I clarified my last post with some bold additions.

I wasn’t implying they should have added tiles all around as it’s not needed, just that they had roll issues (maybe added to by faulty partially open door?).

Basically if SapceX wanted the vehicle to vaporise, they’d not have installed any tiles on any of it… but tiles were installed so I’m sure they had some stretch goals around reenrty heat tests and vehicle landing (in water?)

Regardless it was cool and can’t wait for official post mortem :cool:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if the comment was directed at me, I clarified my last post with some bold additions.

I wasn’t implying they should have added tiles all around as it’s not needed, just that they had roll issues (maybe added to by faulty partially open door?).

Basically if SapceX wanted the vehicle to vaporise, they’d not have installed any tiles on any of it… but tiles were installed so I’m sure they had some stretch goals around reenrty heat tests and vehicle landing (in water?)

Regardless it was cool and can’t wait for official post mortem :cool:
yea noticed u mentioned it so i just put it out here as info for the thread whilst adding other info :), i dont think they were even going to bring it back as it wasnt on the list of things to complete but they tried and u can see how good the starlink was working cos if they didnt burn up they would have got full coverage all the way in, they would have got alot of data so next one will be good to watch, these things are so big the atmosphere is needing more development for controlling them on re entry, should be a good year for them, it does show how much better the stainless is on reentry heat also as other composite rockets just burn up much easier and they had the side of this thing in the full heat for some time too