Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spark plug condition.

Simmo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R S3 , VF Commodore Wagon SS S1
or just use the TR6 as is and fix the oil problem then the engine will be better all round, any oil in the chamber is killing octane and none should be there anyway just the factory efforts are minimal to stop it
I appreciate your help and will take your advice, a catch can will be installed tomorrow, it will be interesting to see how much oil that catches over a number of kms.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I appreciate your help and will take your advice, a catch can will be installed tomorrow, it will be interesting to see how much oil that catches over a number of kms.
there standard gap is fine at 1mm the .8mm is usually for e85 use as its more fuel dense at compression, i was using them at standard gap on e85 upto 14psi boost and they were fine, make sure catch is from crank valley breather to manifold, the rocker cover breather shouldnt draw much thru, its the valley when under decel vacuum that sucks all the oil vapor thru, also im assuming all the plugs were like that or just some ? can also be indication of a valve stem seal issue if its only a single one or few of them

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
there standard gap is fine at 1mm the .8mm is usually for e85 use as its more fuel dense at compression, i was using them at standard gap on e85 upto 14psi boost and they were fine, make sure catch is from crank valley breather to manifold, the rocker cover breather shouldnt draw much thru, its the valley when under decel vacuum that sucks all the oil vapor thru, also im assuming all the plugs were like that or just some ? can also be indication of a valve stem seal issue if its only a single one or few of them
I am running on E85 on NA. I am running iridium plugs at 1.0mm. Would there be any advantage in reducing the gap??

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I am running on E85 on NA. I am running iridium plugs at 1.0mm. Would there be any advantage in reducing the gap??
should be ok but if u noticed it was breaking up in the higher load areas then u could go less in the gap to help it

Simmo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
They were all the same, certainly runs better at the standard gap.
I'm going to attach the can to the passenger side rocker, is that what you mean, it's AFM still?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
They were all the same, certainly runs better at the standard gap.
I'm going to attach the can to the passenger side rocker, is that what you mean, it's AFM still?
no not the rocker cover, u need to attach it to the valley breather that is where the vacuum is drawing out the oil, there will be a hose from the valley to the manifold somewhere thats the one u extend so it goes thru the catch can

Simmo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
no not the rocker cover, u need to attach it to the valley breather that is where the vacuum is drawing out the oil, there will be a hose from the valley to the manifold somewhere thats the one u extend so it goes thru the catch can
Ok thanks, yeah I see what you mean!
Will do it over the next few days, that Pro vent unit was huge, I'll go something smaller but as effective.
I appreciate your help @07GTS , makes a lot of sense. I hope your weekend was eventful.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
@07GTS if OP has stock L77 he doesn't have the valley breather, the AFM Valley cover doesn't have one.

in this case the rocker vent on bank 1 is dirty air I believe?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
How old are the TR6 plugs?

I change out my TR6's out every 5k Km for peace of mind, basically every oil change it gets new plugs