Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spark plug replacement

Macka21

Reaction score
Members Ride
CAMMED VY SS Series 2 M6
Im looking at changing my spark plugs on my vy ss and was looking at the back to plugs on the drivers side o the block and seen how much of a stuff around it was to get a socket set in there. Is there any helpful hints on how to do these

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Extention then have fun.. It's a pain the ass but obviously it can be done.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
probably a universal extension with the straight extension after would be my geuss... that said i've never been lucky enough to work on a v8

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I asked the same question when I did mine. Left side is sweet, just pull the tin covered cardboard guard thingy out.

Right side front 2 are fine. The rear 2 are a pig. The brake booster and clutch reservoir are in the way and they slope backwards. I used a universal and a really long extension (15") and loosened them above the booster. Then using the socket undid them by hand.

Be careful of the ht leads. Mine were really stuck on and brittle as anything. A couple broke in the boot pulling them off, so I replaced all 8.

rizzle69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Cross8
Hi mate.
I have gas on my VY and it makes it even tighter on the right.

I found it was much easier to jack the front up and get at the back ones from them from underneath.
I used a 4' extension on all of them and while a bit fiddly at time and a bit painful on the hands it isn't impossible.

Cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
They aren't that hard.....3/8" drive ratchet no extension because of the brake lines. Just be careful you don't crack a plug tightening them up.

Try doing them on a V8 Torana.