Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sparkless vn series 1

piniin

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 vn berlina s pack
:unsure: please, please.please...can anyone shed some light on the subject. I have just replaced the timing cover on the vn (ser1), and now that everything is back together it won't fire up. Before the timing case went I had some trouble with the motor dying after 20mins of driving, a mate at work rekons it could be fried coil packs, i searched this forum and got really confused with ECU's/ CAS/ DFI's / ECM's and the like. can someone please spare a minute or 2 and lend a hand.??????
:b: :ranting: :cry: :drink:

F

fallen

ok..... your ignition leads go back to the coil back. this is the black thing with six posts sticking out of it that the leads clip on to. screwed into the bottom of that is the dfi module. now did you remove these from the cast bracket when you did the timing cover? if so you would of disconnected a little wire lead going to the body, the earth wire.. make sure that is attached. otherwise you didnt remove the plug with all the wires that goes into the dfi module did you? if so make sure thats been put back in properly as its easy for it to apperar 'in' when its not.... this is the plug with the little bolt going through the middle of it... try that first...

F

fallen

otherwise... what exactly have you done so far? did you disconnect the battery or fool with any electrics? so there is no sparks coming off the leads when you turn the car over?

piniin

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 vn berlina s pack
:unsure: G'day fallen,
I have just checked and double checked the dfi module and it seems to be ok, i didn't remove the bracket when i did the timing cover. I have also removed the harmonic balance wheel to check the sensor to the right of it. I don't know whether this sensor has any effect on achieving a spark but the sensor itself seems to bee damaged, it seems to have 2 outer fins and a centre fin which i'm assuming is the sensor but it is the centre fin that has been damaged could this be the source of my problem??? also are these sensors available at your standard motor factors??? thanks for a speedy response.......

piniin

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 vn berlina s pack
sparkless vn cont'd

actually fallen, I did remove the battery, but as for fooling with electrics, no i've only cleaned up dodgy looking connections

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
ah, ican see exactly where this is heading, when you did the timing, i take it you removed the harmonic ballancer? if so, did you remove the crank angle sensor? the crank angle sensor is a nasty peice of work, if tha tgoes, it will cause the car to start, run for a bit, and stop, it will do this untill it finaly gives up the ghost, and then you will get no spark, and no injector pulse, it wont even give you a fault code, cuase the engine needs to be running for the ecu to get fault codes, save yoru self some heart ache, and hastle and remove the crank angle sensor, and replace it, be sure not to scratch the cas in anyway, you do that, it will be rooted

cheers
garth

F

fallen

Alrighty Man

as garth was saying, this little sensor you are talking about is called the crank angle sensor... and yes this has everything to do with the timing/firing.

i think from memory to pull the harmonic ballancer off you have to remove the crank angle sensor, did you do this? the ballancer has little metal tabs on the back of it that pass through the gap in the sensor and this in turn tells then engine when to fire the spark on what cylinder..

i think from memory mine 'looks' damaged but is fine, well my car does run like **** though so maybe not! hahahaha

i think from memory its adjustable too so youre supposed to re-install it at the same position that it was.... i may be wrong here though...

yes the part is readily abailable at holden, a bit expensive from memory though...

hope some of this has helped!

slick_red_VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
it sounds like it could be coil packs because they generally stop workin when they heat up, one of mine died last week an the next day in the mornin it was fine you can test them by puttin your handbrake on place in drive, put your foot on the brake and stall it up to around 3000rpm if it cuts out or starts missing it will be one of your coil packs