Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speaker Installation Costs

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
I wouldn't cut it up without telling them that they will be altering the structural design of the car and will now have trouble getting a roadworthy certificate, but if they still wanted it done after being told that then I would do it. Thats just me though.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I wouldnt, because I wouldnt like it if someone done that to me. maybe im just too honest :p but thats a good thing I suppose
if the price is right i wil do anything, i mean a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g. (thats from a movie i think)

shady

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive/ VR clubsport
i didnt mean cut into the chassis.....i meant as in cut up the parcel shelf...i got a vl, and it has a particleboard shelf that sits on the actual chassis....in the vl it was a matter of cutting holes in the particle board as there are already holes in the chassis for 6" speakers in the rear....

so i took out the parcel shelf, cut two holes on either side, screwed the speakers and spacers to the board, recovered the lot in vinyl to match the original and wired it up....never once had any problems with cops with it..

as for the new 2 x 12" subs...that may be a different scenario....think they produce too much noise pollution...lol

Ra1d

omg thats the funky sh1t
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec, VL Exec
so with the 6x9's are they just screwed into the masonite (?) parcel shelf, not actually into the metal ribbing underneath? this is doable as the magnet/basket of the 6x9 just sticks through the stock standard 6in cut out in the frame. what i did with 6.5in splits i installed in the shelf the other day - just got an mdf spacer screwed to the underside of the parcel shelf cover and sat the woofer on top of the cover in the stock cut outs, and screwed through into the mdf spacer underneath. turned out to be the best alternative as the 6.5's wouldnt go into the factory mount.

shady

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive/ VR clubsport
well with mine i recut a parcel shelf out of mdf, and cut out some spacers as well, so that the speakers were sitting a bit higher (didnt hit the custom sub box in the boot). I rewrapped everything in vinyl, as the interior of vl is vinyl. Then i wired everything up and looks sweet as. The custom boot is looking good so far too....bit more of a challenge then parcel shelf. I also did a custom job on the front door to fit in the 6" speakers, as there is no room in the door to fit them.