Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speaker recommendations

liamcbenson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Calais V Sportswagon
Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a VE calais wagon and I absolutely love it! How every the one let down is the speaker quality. I had high expectations as I used to drive around (didn't own the car... Don't ask, I didn't steal it) VY Berlina and the speakers were stock but had a tonne of bass!

So I'm looking to upgrade my stock speakers. Not too keen on an sub at this point. Wanting to keep the car as original as possible. Would you guys be able to recommend a set of speakers for the front and back?

I'm after a decent amount of bass but not drowning out the rest of the mids and high ends and hopefully not pay more than $200 per set. Kinda looking for a 60/40 ish mix if thats even how you classify speakers haha!

I've been looking at the kicker Css654 speakers but am a bit to hesitant to go in store and try them and not buy them from the store haha! Plus I have zero experience when it comes to car audio

From what I heard from this guy at auto barn (seemed like he was just bs-ing) but apparently alpine are literally "all about that bass"?

I won't install these (I'm shocking with cars) I'll most likely get them professionally done.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
When upgrading to aftermarket speakers, if you do not install an amplifier, you will often find that the aftermarket speakers are quieter and less punchy than the factory ones.

Something to keep in mind.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Honestly just better off getting a sub installed if you want a decent amount of bass at low cost. If you want to actually use the wagon as intended then get a kicker slimline sub with an accompanying amp.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon

HSViCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 HSVi Calais 6.0
a set of 6x9's in the rear of a wagon will do the trick, and add a good set of component 6.5's up front for your mid-high, plus good 6.5 coaxials for the rear doors for a bit of spl. Just try to make sure you don't ruin your soundstage so have some fader set to the front.

Kicker are the way to go for performance vs price however, anything you do to these VE's on a stock radio with no amp will not give you the result you want. These HU's are lucky to put out 15WRMS per channel at the best of times, so invest in a 4CH amp if your budget stretches.