Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

speaker recommendations?

SS202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
I've decided on which amp and headunit I'm going to get after a little bit of research, although I can't find much on the amp I've chosen.
amp: Soundstorm Strech Daddy D5004
head: Kenwood KDC4029G
Any comments?

Apparently this amp puts out 4x220w RMS...
So, because I have a wagon and want things to look relatively stock, which 6" speakers would you recommend?

CD/MP3 stacker and possibly sub to follow later, if there's not enough bass.

Or alternatively, if you had a VT wagon and wanted the audio gear to look stock (aside from head unit), what gear would you get and why, when working to a $1500 or less budget?

Last edited:

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Dude 220 rms for splits per side is massive !!! How much did the amp cost ?
You probably wont find splits that can take that much power effectively.

SS202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
Yeah that's what I'm worried about :unsure:
But it's the most cost effective, 2000 watts for only $269.00... having said that though, I don't know how well it's going to last. I've had a look on their website and they seem like a pretty reputable company, a quick look on the internet suggests the same... can't find anything to suggest otherwise.

So yeah anyway, who knows of decent 6" 3 ways that can handle 220w?

Last edited:

SS202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
I've come to the conclusion there's no such thing as a 6" speaker that is 220w RMS... but it was nice to pretend. I'm going to have to get a smaller amp :p

So, before stumbling across the cheap uber-amp I was aiming for 80-100w RMS from each speaker (4 in total).
Any cheap suggestions?

C

clinker1212

That is huge!

I am sorry to say but thats like trying to fit a camel in a bird cage.

However, that would drive four good loud speakers no problems. Perfect for my application.

Hey KAL SPL. Is there any way to split channels to play multiple speakers. ie run a set of 6x9s (120w rms) and a set of splits (100w rms) off of one channel to take up the wattage?

SS202-where can I find specs on them/ buy them from??

SS202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6
get the Soundstorm Strech Daddy D5004?
you can buy it from strathfield, if you go to www.soundstormlab.com you can download a PDF...

if you mean the 100w spilts, I don't know. I've had to give up on them too and go for 75watt Phoenix Gold speakers and get a 4x70w rms Phoenix Gold amp.
of course if you or anyone else knows of some 6" 100w rms splits, feel free to let me know :p

S

sick_vt

Heya,

The soundstorm amps aren't too bad for what they cost. Only prob with cheaper amps is they get hot quickly and tend to cutout after being pumped for a while. You'll find the circuit boards use some of yesterday's technology hence getting hot quick.

Consider MTX. I work in a car audio shop that sells both and the MTX amps are kick-arse amps that just won't die even in the middle of the desert. They reach a temp and won't get any hotter. The sound quality is considerably sharper than the soundstream also. I won't forget to mention that every amp is bench tested befor it leaves the factory. Check 'em out at www.mtx.com.

Last years model is the RT404. The amp you could be looking at. 2005 models not available in Australia yet. A true 100w x 4 RMS. Guarantee you won't be disappointed. By the way, a good power cable kit and RCA leads can make a difference to when it comes to getting good current to the amp. Streetwires are the go. Also think about the zero noise RCA cables. Guaranteed not to get alternator buzz.

If you want nice speakers for the front, look at 6 1/2 " JBL splits or MTX splits. Crystal clear and **** hot off an MTX amp.

The head unit ... Kenwood KDC4029G is a nice choice. Does everything most people need but check out the KDC6029. Looks heaps nicer.

Cheers
sick_vt

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Oh my , I just re read the first post , I read it as SoundStream , oh dude dont worry there is no fukin way in the world that a $270 amp is gonna make that much power , if it makes 50rms x 4 I would be surprised , get any splits you like as it aint gonna be enough power to kill them from overpowering :)
Sorry I will pick myself up off the floor now Bwahahahaha