Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

speakers losing magnetism

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
As speakers get older they would lose their magnetism correct (due to the hot car environment and all the vibration they are subject to)? How would this impact speaker performance? More distortion? Lower power handling? Etc?

I have a pair of JBL 6x9’s and I’m sure their magnets are not as strong as they used to be and they distort bass more.

cheers

phil

EDIT: they were the first set of speakers got and would be about 4 years old now

ascension24

Reaction score
Magnets dont lose their their magnetism, The magnet force the magnet exerts will be as strong now as the day you brought it, and for the next 1000 years in the tip.

Its all the other components that make up a speaker that degrade, the cone, coils, glues, pretty much everything else.

Youve prob just blown the speaker, its run its course, theirs nothing you can really do, fixing it IS possible, but no where near worth the money.

Time to get a new set of 6*9's

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
The only way for the magnetic moment of a particle to be changed is by forcing it to change through the use of a more powerful external magnetic field.

Second year physics.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
dephilile said:
magnets don't lose their magnetism? who told you that?

its just basic physics

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
stocky said:
its just basic physics

yeah, i know if you leave a magnet sitting there it's not gonna lose it's magnetism but if you bump it you rearrange the domains (i can't remember if that's what you call them or not) so they are no longer parallel.

i just did a bit of reaserch and apparently new materials do not suffer from this type of problem. http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae472.cfm

It still doesn’t explain why when I put the speakers in and out of the parcel shelf their magnets no longer seem as strong. Originally when I put them in it was just about impossible to get them in without knocking them on the metal. Now it’s not very difficult at all.

andrewgrazier

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE 50th ANNIVERSARY
probaby like the voice coils have been a little burnt out
but yeha
im sure magnets dont loose their magnetivity for a very long time as in a few 1000 years

stop being a tight ass n get a new pair
also check your speaker wiring :)

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Maybe you're getting stronger. Have you been eating more?

It's a really interesting question, can't say I know the answer though.

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
If you wanted, whenever I have a screwdriver that loses its magnetisim at the tip, it gets quite annoying with tricky jobs so I rigged up a simple coil that exerts a strong magnetic force when you put power through the coil. Just put the screwdriver in the inside of the coil for a minute and the tip has it's magnetism back :)

Sometimes I've gotten carried away with recharging the magnetism and everytime I pick up some of my screwdrivers, it's got a daisy chain of bolts, lugs and other metallic BS all over it lol.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
TehFastyOne said:
If you wanted, whenever I have a screwdriver that loses its magnetisim at the tip, it gets quite annoying with tricky jobs so I rigged up a simple coil that exerts a strong magnetic force when you put power through the coil. Just put the screwdriver in the inside of the coil for a minute and the tip has it's magnetism back :)

Sometimes I've gotten carried away with recharging the magnetism and everytime I pick up some of my screwdrivers, it's got a daisy chain of bolts, lugs and other metallic BS all over it lol.

heh i prefer the " manual alignment " spend 5 or so mins movign a magnet over a driver the same way [ like rub down on it ] and it'll get enough magnetic force to hold a screw but not enought to clamp to any metal it touches, great for PC screws ^_^