Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed Alert & Cruise Problem- VSS?

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan - The Beige Bandit!
I've been searching for days but afew posts kind of contradict one another.

VS V6 Auto, Cruise control and speed alert arnt working.

For Example, The speed alert will not alert you when you go over speed.

The cruise control will turn on, Green CRS Light. But when i try and set it the ON Light wont stay on and i cant set the cruise control.

The Speedo still works though and there are no logged codes.

From what i have read this points to the speed sensor, but some posts on here say that if the speedo is working and the cars changing gears as it should then its not the problem? What do you think?

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
Try the number 7 fuse, is your central locking working properly?

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry should of mentioned, i have changed fuses i believe there are 3 that are linked to cruise control, i've changed them all. Central locking is working.

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
i would try the switch under the dash for the brake lights mine sticks and neither will work properly

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've checked the switches and relays and they are fine too, pulled the back off the cruise switch to check the wires and they are fine.

I did pull the VSS out and cleaned it up, but no difference

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Try disconnecting the VSS/speed sensor and see if the speedo works....this will confirm that it's OK or buggered. Have you had the dash out recently ... may have knocked something?? Will the speed alert do that trick where you hold all the buttons down and it reads out like a digital speedo? I'd reckon on the speed sensor being suspect, as the CC must have speed above 40KPH and the speed alert also must use the same info as well as the speedo....Gregorys also indicates this but if the speedo works and CC and SA don't???
Just a thought - try disconnecting the battery for 1 minute....sometimes this can reset something and solve the most impossible problems.
Good Luck.

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
the speed alert will change to the speedo but it doesnt move, i was going to disconnect the battery and leave it for a while to see if that changes anything, i have had the dash out recently as the odometre striped a speed gear. I'll pull it out again and check the connections. i disconnected the speedo sensor and the speedo stopped working.

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can anyone tell me what type of resistance i should be getting from the speed sensor?... i'm getting 1.95

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I couldnt find the resistance spec for the speed sensor.
If the speed sensor isnt working,or has a problem, it should log an error code.Code 24 for automatic transmissions and code 94 for manual transmissions.
Heres what the gregorys workshop manual says-
How to test the speed sensor on an automatic.
Raise the car and suppost on chassis stands.
Disconnect the speed sensor wiring connector and connect a voltmeter between the sensor terminals.Set the voltmeter to read AC volts.
Start the engine,place the transmission in gear and slowly increase and decrease the engine speed.Check that the voltage increases and decreases in relation to the variance in engine speed.Renew the sensor if a fault is indicated.
Check the wiring between the ECU and the speed sensor wiring connector for shorts to earth or voltage,or an open circuit.
Ensure that the memcal unit is installed in the ECU.If the correct unit is installed,and the code continues,renew the ECU.

Heres a link to a post that shows you how to check for error codes if you dont already know how-
---https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307---