Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed Cameras.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
ive been in a car that got flashed for speeding at night and there was no flash but only a bright red light

Guess I need to get flashed more :p

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
If you get a fine ask for the photo to be sent out . Can't remember how much it costs ,but if there are two cars in the photo they will send the fined out to both drivers.
I disputed one a while back and got off.
Revenue collecting.Send out two fines for the two cars in the photo and hope no driver disputes it and bingo the government has doubled its money.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
guys you can sit here and come up with theories all night long as usually happens but it doesnt always mean its right or wrong and is different state to state :whistling

NSW RTA sends you a photo which details everything, sorry to use my mate Dave as an example (he has posted this pic elsewhere on the forum) but his is a good example for those that havent seen what is acctually sent to you.

RAW579-32-225828_1_1.jpg

If you wish to refute it you also need to take into consideration those markings on the road, as they work similar to a speedo increment, each marking represents a certain speed over the limit as a quick way to check.

P platers in NSW are on a ZERO tolerance for speeding. Get done speeding, any speed, and your licence is automatically suspended, no second chance.

Revv, you'll just have to wait it out unfortunately because everyone here can run you through their own theories and not nessecarily be right or wrong. You could be worried about nothing. then again you might be lucky, use this experience to pay more attention to the school zones I know of a few people who have been in the same situation to find it was okay!

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp
ive been in a car that got flashed for speeding at night and there was no flash but only a bright red light

i relised the cameras on the way back and to geelong dont flash. but every time a car goes past it really dimly flickers red.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Guys i want your opinions on something. I went through a red light camera about a week ago. It was while i was turning at a turning arrow. There was a largish truck in front of me which was turning and as a result blocked the turning arrow on the other side of the road i was turning into. Anyway as soon as i noticed the arrow on the other side of the road as yellow, i was doing about 20-30km/h and crossed over the lines as it went red. I've had my license for about 3.5 years (inc p plates) and never lost any points for anything. Would i likely have this fine removed as it's a first offence and obviously not deliberate? I knew the camera was there so obviously wouldn't run it deliberately, but it all happened so quick.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
In NSW, you have to request and pay for the photo. It used to be around $13. Initially, all you receive is the Speed Camera Infringement Notice.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
I recently got done 10km/hr over the speed limit up in Queensland, two weeks later in the mail, a fine, with a photo attached,
It was a poor quality version, you could request a higher resolution photo if required, but I could clearly make out it was me driving, so no point saying dad was driving!!

Not sure if thats just how Queensland are doing it, or NSW as well??

EDIT: Queensland doesnt warn you if they have fixed or portable speed camera's up, they have a little blue sign, tucked away somewhere, if you're lucky on the portable ones... And unmarked cars, black mercedes vans, toyotas, little 4 cyl things.. they're sneaky!!!

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
it comes on the fine here :)

Well, this state is so broke, they charge for anything and everything. I'm just waiting for some clown to invent a portable, personal Oxy-meter so the government can start charging us to breathe..

Another thing with speed cameras in NSW. When approaching them, you can see warning signs from both directions, but when you go through many camera zones, you only see the sensor strips fixed to the road on the departure side of the camera, they don't grab the traffic travelling in the opposite direction. Note, this is not all sites, as the photo above clearly indicates - it caught a car travelling towards the camera.

In this state, the older style camera could not identify which car was speeding if on a multi lane road and more than one car appeared in the photo. When that happened, the photo was discarded and no infringement notice was issued. Later model cameras can identify which lane was speeding, so even if two or more cars appear in the pic, they can identify the offending vehicle. I have to assume that other states would have this technology too.

revv_head

I DRIVE A V6 SS :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
Two things on my side now. One those lines arent on my side of the road only on the other and two i just realised the 40 sign is in identical place to the camera so i dont see how it could of got me when i was back from the sign as i saw it flash.