Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed Limits Hay Plains

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Speed Limits

As cars get safer and more reliable are country speed limits appropriate.

We have had 110 max speed limits for years; cars have more safety features than ever; medical technology is advanced and more people survive.

What are the common factors that govern the speed limit on a road?

Why can a Morris minor from the 60's do 110km/h, why can trucks do similar speeds and a HSV is limited to the same 110km/h speed restriction?

Why are night speed limits the same as day speed limits?

Recently I drove from Sydney to Adelaide, the road from Wagga Wagga to Narrandera was mostly 100km/h, the road from Narrandera to Hay to Balranald to Mildura to Renmark are 110km/h.

Why don’t some of these roads have higher speed limits/ Surely speed limits should be commensurate with road conditions; after all, we have to do 50km/h in suburban areas so why not adjust speed limits to a more modern formula.

Images

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...ay-plains.html

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
not everyone drive these new "safe" cars

this topics been done to death also mate

VZ06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport Kit
I live nearby to this area, 110km/h out that way is ridiculous, it should be upped to 130, those roads r ever so boring!!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
i often wonder about this same question , about 20 years ago the max limit in NSW was 120.
anyway, its really about the ability of the average driver ... which is rubbish, and the mess you make of yourself when you crash. That said, I also with they would increase the limits on many roads, especially the country ones where there aint many people.

VZ06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport Kit
Agreeed, they should up the limit, if a driver isnt comfortable doing a speed limit of say, 130km/h, they dont have to go that fast. Those roads out there are long and extremely boring.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I'll leave it here coz you'll get some decent responses then if I were to move it where you'll be stoned to death, esentially it works both ways.

While I agree vehicle safety has improved, sadly not all roads have. When we do some cruises we are left wondering why anyone would do the set speed limit on some roads, as we're being bucked and thrown around sitting 10/20kays under the signposted speed due to roads in disrepair.

At the end of the day you can have the worlds safest car, but even an inexperienced driver can crash a Volvo and kill themselves :whistling

Still I ask the question about some roads, the M7 is set to a maximum speed of 100KPH when its a brand new Freeway, Sydneys newst. Why is it not 110 in most places? Its just a straight road with some sweeping corners in it.

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Just thought Id say proberly the reason for not upping the speed limits also has to do with the gearing of all the cars on the road.

Dont want evererybody doing 3500rpm along the freeway. :p

Also in saying that going faster then 100km/h also means you use more fuel, and that means more green houses grasses :) (i spelt that wrong for a reason)

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
yes i beleive 130 from narrellan rd to the border would be good, and from the border to graigeburn.
north some section from raymond trc to kempsey, and tamworth to cunninghams gap.

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SS-V Redline SportWagon, 2003 CV8R Monaro
I came across the Hay Plain in a Kenworth and we hit an emu at 105km/h, destroyed the bird, feathers and dust everywhere. What do you think would've happened if we had've been in car doing 130? I reckon I would've had my eyes pecked out of my head whilst waiting at the pearly gates for St Peter to let us in.

Speed limits are set with a few factors in mind, the terrain, visibility in all conditions, road surface, more importantly in suburban areas they factor in traffic entering from side roads and volume of traffic during peak times, driveways and pedestrian activity.

I drive a semi for a crust locally and I can honestly say that if everyone slowed down 10 or 15km/h's, we'd all be better off. You might not get home in time to see the end of Antiques Roadshow, but you may just save your license, your maximum no claim bonus, or your or someone else's life.