Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed Limits Hay Plains

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SS-V Redline SportWagon, 2003 CV8R Monaro
Ahh cool mate, glad things are ok, good ideas there, I'd go with that.

Here's a question (unrelated to the Hay Plains) for you since you are a professional driver.

We all know that learners must get experience in all road conditions and at times they don't get to practice lengthy driving periods except when they go on long trips, like a holiday long weekend.

If they are on motorways that are sign posted 110k do you think they cause a danger to other motorists not because they can't drive but because they are forced to do 80k?

Images Hay Plains http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/members/holdfast-albums-hay-plains.html

Learners, or any slow movers on freeways are a major hinderance and can be quite dangerous. But having an elevated position above the line of traffic, we have more of an advantage than car drivers because we can see whats going on further away. A lot of the time we can anticipate the actions of car drivers, and know what they're gunna do before they even know what's going on.

Learners have just as much right to be on the road as anyone else. P-Platers on the other hand... Nah, seriously though, we all started out as learners, and it'd be a safe bet that we've all held up other road users when we were learners. I reckon that learners should spend a day in a truck around town, just to see what it's like, to see what we have to put up with. It'd make a huge difference to people's perception of trucks and drivers in general.

People just have to learn to be patient, it only takes one little error or a minor indiscretion to ruin your day. Courtesy goes a long way as well.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
dynamytedave, you've put a lot of effort into your posts and provided very good perspective from a truckers point of view (and general driving). Thanks for giving us your thoughts mate.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I have to say

.... guys, good to see your able to have a civil debate about this without flamming each other. Keep it up, it really does make for a good read and Im sure everyone is able to see it from the other persons perspective. We're here to share ideas and views, not flame the other bloke for presenting his.

Now Im not going to have a stab but
when the brakes are slammed on the only real risk is if some one is on ya ass ( which i doubt out there )
true, but not always. On a non ABS car your going to jam them on so damn hard, and slide that hard it wont be funny. Throw into that equasion someone who jerks the steering wheel to avoid it when their brain calculates their gonna impact, you find yourselves in the scrub ... or wrong side of the road, while Mr Dave is hurling towards you at 100 kph

Perhaps better driver training is needed yes, but you also need the road setup properly for it. dont forget, you can also have someone whose never left Sydneys peak hour CBD travelling north to visit the rellies and getting upto whatever speed on the weekend, their going to be a danger. Heck I'd be a danger to you guys that drive rural roads, if I got into strife I dont know that I'd be able to get out of it.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I got booked for speeding through a roadworks once. the copper explained to me that the speed limits were reduced because there was no run off areas, and greater damage likely if they hit construction barriers.

He didn't like me when I pointed out that he was parked in a nice little run off area when he lasered me, and that the impact barriers of plastic and water were a damn sight softer than the trees and concrete barriers on the higher speed limited non construction area.

He also said that you have to take care of the workers. I asked him to point out 1 single person working without 1000m of where we were standing. He got shitty, and I got booked.

Theoretically though, speed limits have more to do with the risks the area represents to others. High volume of wildlife, big spoondrains besdie the road, trees close to the egde, things like that theoretically lower speed limits.

But for certain - they are not consistent because the road margins change AFTER the speed limits are posted anyway.

I think the best example is the fact that NT speed limits have been capped - and since the cap was applied, fatalaities INCREASED.

By the way - for all you budding politicians, think about this - If speed kills, why aren't the pilots of planes and trains the first to die ? Planes cruise at 550kmh, trains in qld up to 160kmh between regional centres.

The answer is speed doesnt kill. It's the unexpected, the stupid and the ignorant that kill.

southy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Suzuki Swift GTI
I dunno if anyone else has been up there and seen them but there are roads from south australia to northern territory with a speed limit of 130km/h.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
ok, lets look at this, the MZ (sydney), speed limit of 100 from new, 120/130 could be done easily and safely, except by new driver who have their speeds limted anyway

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
i think the speed limits are set to a happy medium for all types of cars and drivers on the road. speed limits are just a guideline - nothing's stopping you from speeding if you don't like it. just be prepared to face the consequences if you get into a sticky situation or get caught.

just because your car does 130km/h safely it doesn't mean everyone elses does as well :)

+1 for the first reply as well

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
i think you need to harden the **** up and stop complaining about roads being so long and straight that the spped limit should be raised. if this did happen where would it end. speed limit gets upped to 120 people complain speed limit gets upped to 130 people complain speed limit gets upped to 140 and so on and so on. its a rediculous idea. i dont think all cars these days atre built to fly off a road at 130km/h and roll numerous times without the person inside being injured. it would be rediculous, think of how many more deaths would occur people losing control of their cars easier, becuase at 130 ur steering is more touchy than 110 people wont expect that.

personally 110 is fine for me and i certainly dont want any of the idiots that i see driving roundget given a chance to drive at 130 - 140 km/h legally.

End rant/