Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

speed sensitive steering???

AnthsVSLexcen

Reaction score
Hey guys, iv got a Toyota Lexcen CSI 1995 (ecotec engine) and im just wondering if anyone would know if i have speed sensitive power steering? Is there any way to find out if i got it or not? thanks guys.

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I think the speed sensitive part actually works on engine revs. So at idle, the power steering should be assisted. Take it up to 2 thousand revs, and see if it's still as easy to turn the wheel. It works like that on my mum's pulsar.
In theory, when your'e driving at higher revs, the assistance isn't needed.
But I could be wrong.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
If you've ever driven an old race car without power steering theres VERY little difference at high speed (for slight cornering, not hairpins or anything). Basically powersteering is better because it allows for a high gear ratio (eg 2 1/2 turns from lock to lock, compared to non power steering which might be 5 full turns) This helps in car parks and tight turns.

aa23 is right though, as the engine is running faster it will be able to produce more pressure in the power steering, however its very rarely that you would use 100% of the power while turning, so it really makes no difference.

statesman_vs_s1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman Series 1 V6
I was always under the impression the speed sensitive steering was only offered on the upper models such as the Berlina, Calais, Statesman and the SS.

Does the CSi Lexen have climate, cruise and the 3 window trip computer?

Not familiar with them, but if its gopt a toyota badge it would have to be good. :)

Vaughn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport / V8 M5
Only The calais and statesmans have power speed sensitive power steering not any other model i dont think your lexen would have it

MY_95_VS

Drifting Champion...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V6
that aint true. My Berlina series 1 VS has speed sensitive power steering... I think it may have been on Berlina and above in VS... But I could be wrong. But my car definitely has it...

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Speed sensitive power steering was only available in the higher end models such as the Calais in the VS models. However, towards the end of the model it may have become available in other models. Some of the Lexcen models may have been the equivalent of the Calais and had speed sensitive power steering as standard. It has nothing to do with revs. Basically, at low vehicle speeds (not engine speeds), there is much more power steering assistance for things like parking and travelling around in car parks. At low vehicle speeds the steering will be quite a bit lighter than a car with normal power steering. At higher vehicle speeds there is less steeering assistance and so the steering feels much the same as a car with normal power steering. In summary, speed sensitive power steering gives you more assistance at lower vehicle speeds and less assistance at higher vehicle speeds.

AnthsVSLexcen

Reaction score
thanks for that guys, i dont have speed sensitive power steering. only the high end models have it from berlina up i think and the lexcen newport has it (just like a calais) and statesmans.
thanks for all your replys :)