Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed ?

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
"A person . . . shall drive the vehicle . . . at a rate of speed no greater than is reasonable and proper under the conditions existing at the point of operation . . . so as not to unduly or unreasonably endanger the life, limb, property, or other rights of a person entitled to the use of the street or highway." < Montana speed law

250px-MONTANA-PR.svg.png

this is what I call a GREAT speed law , and it's in USA - Montana

gotta go live there :p

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
"A person . . . shall drive the vehicle . . . at a rate of speed no greater than is reasonable and proper under the conditions existing at the point of operation . . . so as not to unduly or unreasonably endanger the life, limb, property, or other rights of a person entitled to the use of the street or highway." < Montana speed law

250px-MONTANA-PR.svg.png

this is what I call a GREAT speed law , and it's in USA - Montana

gotta go live there :p

That'd be pretty good, It would then be up to the policer officer to pull you over if they believe you are going too fast, not just because the sign says so.

toti555

Reaction score
Members Ride
ls
just asking : do you think that the speed limit now is right ?

I mean, they choose that speed limit because of 2 things :

1: friction with air (not going to discuss that)

2: cars of that time

now most of the cars are designed to go with higher speeds than old cars
going 200 km is not hard on the car and dangerous as before

so shouldn't they change the speed limit ??

i disagree with you
حرام عليك 200 مو خطيره ...شكلك بتقضي على الاستراليين
طيب كم السرعه المحدده عندكم ؟

صحيح دخلتي عرض بس سعودي فاضي يدور على مواضيع عن الومينا....وبس:)

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
When me and my mate Lewis were driving our two cars from Melbourne to Brisbane via the inland highways, I insisted we keep a good fifty metres between us at all times. I'm paranoid like that. .

You have heard of the 2 sec rule? Following distance should be a minimum of 2secs behind the car in front?
Why, in most relaxed driving conditions that is the time the average person needs to react and respond to a situation. ie evaluate what they see and get foot on brake pedal. So if the vehicle in front of you jumps on the anchors(and doesnt have better brakes than your car) you will just avoid hitting them. Of course this doesnt allow for them actually hitting an object on the road and coming to a stop in less than their normal stopping distance.

At 100km/h, the 2sec rule dictates 55metres, so perhaps consider modifying your approach.
At 60km/h the gap should be about 33m, yeah I know, leave that much on a multilane road and all that happens is people cut into the space.

Its all rather silly to say that just because the vehicles travel nicely at 130km/h that we should increase the limits. The ability of cars to stop or go around corners hasnt unfortunately increased by this much, nor have human reaction times. Do consider the effect of speed for handling and stopping is related to the speed squared.
A car doing 140km/h requires double the distance to stop as one doing 100km/h
A corner rated at 70km/h when tackled at 100km/h require twice as much cornering force(ie friction from the tyres) This not only relates to cornering but the cars ability to swerve and avoid etc(handling).
We havent seen tyres and brakes improve by this amount in the last 40 years.
Our road tolls have decreased, due to improved laws and better vehicles, yet our road tolls are still significant. Why go back to the accident rates of yesteryear by decreasing the safety factors our vehicles now give us. Just appreciate the extra level of safety a modern car gives us, rather than driving it faster so we still only have the same level of safety of yesteryear.

Better roads as I have mentioned b4, with the highest km of road per head of population on the planet, how many of us are willing to put our hands up and put in heaps more tax to have better roads? Accidents are not caused by bad roads, they are caused by bad driving......better roads can prevent some bad driving causing accidents.

Why do we need to drive at higher speeds, where are all you people in such a hurry to get to? Unlikely that the government will allow any increase in highway speeds, purely from an environmental point of view. Speeds above 100 in modern cars create exponentially higher fuel usage/CO2 emissions. Perhaps some of you aren't old enough to remember when they put a 50mph limit on all cars in the US simply to reduce dependence on oil?

Last edited:

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
BOY1236 highlights an old Montana USA allowance that was recinded some years back.

Maximum speed during daytime is now 75Mph.

NT road toll, to date (19 Sept 08), year two of rural speed-limits is 55.

For the same period last year (first year of rural speed-limits) the road toll was 35.

Police internet site

To quote a poster at KeepNTLimitFree;
The road toll for the Northern Territory for 2008 to 19 September is 55.

The road toll for the Northern Territory for 2007 to 21 September was 35

The road toll for the Northern Territory for 2006 to 21 September was 32, without Speed Limits, Traffic Branch or a Demerit Points system.

Keep it safe folks!

White Lion

Reaction score
Members Ride
statesman 2009 (white Lion)
just asking : do you think that the speed limit now is right ?

looooooool

Last edited:

djs7cc

Dylan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Ex Cop
i come from south africa and the speed limit there is 120 on major highways. on a big double lane road the speed limits are 100 and on single but big roads they are about 60-80
that means here in perth the freeway should be 120, marmion should be 100 and all the roads surrounding suburbs should be 80 not 70, in the suburbs 50 is fine but the main roads should be 60
out in the sticks the limit should be 120 but sufficient signage should be put in place for corners and speed limits for corners
as for kids jumping out in the road its their own fault
u cant make us drive slow because of something that might happen. i could be driving at 40 k's an hour in a school zone, another driver could fall asleep and come towards causing me to swerve into a group of kids killing them all. that might happen. why dont they ban all driving.

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
the only speed limit i disagree with is the change from 100km to 80km on the calder freeway. Other than that i believe all the other speed limits are fine.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
My dad used to be called on as a witness for the Main Roads dept for setting of speed limits.

What would happen (in the seventies) is that 2 cars, one 3 years old, 1 10 years old would have turn indicators from the aircraft industry bolted to the dash in front of the passenger seat. these were the bubble of mercury in glycerin curved tube type. The witness would watch the indicator and the driver would drive. The speed limit was chosen by seeing what the maximum speed for the new car and the old car would be, so that the turn indicator would not exceed a certain amount (i remember it as 0.22G but that could be wrong). The Speeds between the 2 cars would be averaged.

How they choose them now - is probably take the old speed limit from the seventies, and put it on a new sign.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
BOY1236 highlights an old Montana USA allowance that was recinded some years back.

Maximum speed during daytime is now 75Mph.

NT road toll, to date (19 Sept 08), year two of rural speed-limits is 55.

For the same period last year (first year of rural speed-limits) the road toll was 35.

Police internet site

To quote a poster at KeepNTLimitFree;

Keep it safe folks!

How do the stats you have quoted compare against population change, road usage change, tourism increases, registered car increases etc? Its all well and good to say road toll has gone up, but I highly doubt its because of a speed limit change.