Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speeding Margin to be axed.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
thats bullshit! if i ever get caught doing say 61 in a 60 zone and lose my licence(p plater) i will deadset plant a bomb in the RTA building and blow them ####ers up!!!!!

Because that will really help your situation. P = Probationary, Live with it.

or if he did blow up an RTA building the P could then be for prison and later for parole

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
, it does seem a bit daft to have a blank zero tolerance as this will cause further grief to already cautious P Platers who stand to lose their licence a lot easier than a fully licenced driver.

most p platers are hardly cautious
the fly past me when i'm speeding

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
most p platers are hardly cautious
the fly past me when i'm speeding

Maybe you just live in a bad area where people are reckless, after all you just said you are speeding when they pass you. Glad I don't live in your parts :)

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
I saw a post or 2 on the braking distance of different cars, did anybody see the episode of Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson asked whoever was the country or state minister or something when they were a guest the exact same question, speed limits getting lower but cars braking much quicker etc, and he just rambled and changed the subject without giving an answer.
They know about this and they don't have an answer as to why.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
OMG an intelligent decision by a politician. Suddenly it feels a little chill down here in hell...

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
OMG an intelligent decision by a politician. Suddenly it feels a little chill down here in hell...

OMG, a populist politician, repealing of speed limits will always bring cheer from some quarters, but I doubt that the 100s of more people who will be hospitalised or the 15 or so that will find themselves on a marble slab will have much to cheer about at all.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
OMG, a populist politician, repealing of speed limits will always bring cheer from some quarters, but I doubt that the 100s of more people who will be hospitalised or the 15 or so that will find themselves on a marble slab will have much to cheer about at all.

Well, they should have learnt to drive to the conditions presented to them a wee bit better then eh?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
He hasn't repealed a speed limit, he has applied common sense to a major problem. Lowering speed limits may save lives, but forcing a driver to spend more time watching the speedo than the road will cost lives.

It only takes the briefest instant for your speed to move from 50 to 52, and yeah you could sit on 45 instead and have a line of impatient a-holes lining up behind you, waiting to take their first opportunity to make a risky overtaking maneuver.

Its pretty easy to keep your speed within 5 ks of the limit though, still checking the speedo regularly of course but not having to stare constantly at it.

Lowering the tolerance isnt the answer, if you want to have an effect you need to lower the limit. You still need to have a margin for error built in, to allow for tyre wear, instrument inaccuracies, and the force of gravity slowly speeding you up down a hill... and to give you time to watch the road.

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
he has applied common sense.
You may be right, he has applied common sense, unfortunately connecting common sense and good sense in this context and many others is flawed.

but forcing a driver to spend more time watching the speedo than the road will cost lives.

What evidence do you have that people who are trying to keep within a 1km/h tolerance of the speed limit are driving blind and just watching their speedo?, their are plenty out there now doing exactly that.
Really, dont we all drive by observing what is around us, a glance in the rear view every 15 secs or more, the speedo in most cars is right under driver's nose within peripheral vision anyway, its not like you have to turn around to look a the frigging thing. perhaps we should stop mirror checks too?

Its pretty easy to keep your speed within 5 ks of the limit though, still checking the speedo regularly of course but not having to stare constantly at it.

So what's the problem with doing that then?

You still need to have a margin for error built in, to allow for tyre wear, instrument inaccuracies, and the force of gravity slowly speeding you up down a hill...

People know that if they have an old car that their instruments could be out, either do 10% less than the limit because you dont know, or get your instruments checked out so you do know, ignorance shouldnt be an excuse. Do people think all the instruments on their car are 100% accurate? how many cars run out of petrol as soon the instant the needle hits empty? ffs.

Those whose instruments prove to be more than 10% undereading by no fault of their own perhaps have a case, but really, that would be pushing reality to find even a few of these people. Basically if your car is undereading by 10% or more and you havent figured it out for yourself then maybe driving is too complex a task for them.

Tyre wear, not an issue, the speedos are designed to not underead with new tyres on them, as the tyre wears all that can happen is that the speedo will overead.

Speeding up down a hill? ffs, for those that are driving and become so detached from the surroundings that they dont notice a hill? best we get these people off the road, a few speeding fines would speed up the process. (perhaps they'd be more observant of hills when they are on a pushbike!)

Last edited: