Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speeding Margin to be axed.

moggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
And whos to say that the GPS is correct?

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
It irks me that I, and others, are now forced to watch my speedo as opposed to possible hazards coming into an intersection these days as a result of things like this.

sahyre....you watch your gps.. your son was constantly fiddling with his dash. its just dangerous imo

you cant tell me that when you drive you never go 1km/h over the speed limit..

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
i would like to know how much safer i am if i am doing 60km/h or 61km/h..

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Don't Australian Standards allow up to a 10% error in speedo readings?? One word. REVENUE.

Yes, the ADR's allow a margin of error but the speedo must read faster than actual speed, not slower. Therefore, your speedo would have to be indicating more than just 1-3 km over the limit for you to be actually speeding, and you would therefore be pretty well aware of what your indicated speed was.

That said, the RTA has been criticized for its "law unto itself" attitude by the Liberal Party in this State and from tomorrow night, they should be in government. I suspect that the RTA report might just get filed away, because the Libs have a policy of reducing mobile speed cameras, possibly increasing speed limits on certain roads and increasing the number of HWP police.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The concern I have, is that people who purchase after market wheels will knock their speedos out of accuracy. Be it under or over, this was my understanding to the leeway for the cameras.

I can imagine some poor bugger cruising along at 60km/h, when in actuality he is doing 61km/h, then getting clocked for it. I mean quite honestly, it just seems trivial.

That said, the majority of the population do 5-10 below the limit when coming up to a fixed camera these days anyway. But IMO, it's revenue yet again. Perhaps a slow year?

It irks me that I, and others, are now forced to watch my speedo as opposed to possible hazards coming into an intersection these days as a result of things like this.

You don't need aftermarket wheels to throw the speedo out. I had a car years ago that came standard with 195-60/14's and I had 205-65/14's fitted. I was pulled over twice in one week and told I was speeding. The second time, I had seen the police car following and watched to see that my speedo was bang on 50kmh. When he stopped me, I said I couldn't understant why he had done so as I had watched the speedo and checked that I was not speeding. The police officer admitted he thought it was strange that I continued to exceed the limit when it was obvious I had seen him behind me. The larger tyres had thrown the speedo out considerably - enough for him to stop me. He looked at the car and let me off and we discussed the fact that the tyres were obviously affecting the speedo reading adversely.

Banicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais '07
The GPS speedo is inaccurate and has latency. My VE is stock, and the GPS displays my speed as 3km/h under the display. If you entrust your license to a 3rd party device built to direct and guide, power to you.

Someone mentioned cruise control, but at 60km/h and in suburban traffic, really? It's just not practical and as stated, it really seems trivial for a difference of between 1 to 3 km/h over the limit, which lets admit, we all do without even noticing at some point during our driving.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
all these bullshit laws coming in makes me want to give up driving fullstop everywhere you drive youve got to be paranoid about bloody cameras not to mention the accuracy of them the accuracy of your speedo its too easy to cop a fine even if you think your doing the right thing and not speeding, and watching your speed constantly is more dangerous than speeding, its crap that you have to constantly look at the speedo when your eyes should be on the road.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
You don't need aftermarket wheels to throw the speedo out. I had a car years ago that came standard with 195-60/14's and I had 205-65/14's fitted. I was pulled over twice in one week and told I was speeding. The second time, I had seen the police car following and watched to see that my speedo was bang on 50kmh. When he stopped me, I said I couldn't understant why he had done so as I had watched the speedo and checked that I was not speeding. The police officer admitted he thought it was strange that I continued to exceed the limit when it was obvious I had seen him behind me. The larger tyres had thrown the speedo out considerably - enough for him to stop me. He looked at the car and let me off and we discussed the fact that the tyres were obviously affecting the speedo reading adversely.

Lets not forget tyre pressures etc. Which alter fairly drastically on hot or cold days.

moggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
Yep larger tyres will do that which raises another point. The 4X4 drivers with larger than standard wheels and tyres.. I am not against booking people for speeding but lets just use a bit of common sense. How easy is it to pick up a couple of kph just rolling off a hill? Should we be so preoccupied watching the speedo that we miss more critical things happening around us? Does anyone really believe that it would be a defence to say " I was concentrating on my speed/ looking at my GPS/adjusting my speed alert/ setting my cruise control and did not see the kid on the skate board" I don't think so. You are far better off missing him at 65kph than hitting him at 60.