Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

speedo and tacho intermitent fault!

auschev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 WH HSV Grange
Hi every one, I am looking for some help on an intermitent fault in my wifes new shopping trolly, she's got a 98 caprice.

The speedo and tacho work intermitently. (need to bang top of dash)

I have taken out the cluster and cleaned the slip on connectors the cluster has on the back.

From my experience with Corvettes and Silverados, forums are the best way to get advise on where to begin searching to fix thing like this.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers

S

sikvs

my speedo does that exact same thing, although the tacho works fine. from what i understand it is a common fault amongst the vr/vs range once they get on a bit. does it flick up once you hit about 40km/h or stay off til you hit it?

auschev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 WH HSV Grange
It will do both.

I thought it was a short circut somewhere behind the dash as some times the clock light and trip computer lights require tapping to get them working.

I might track down an other cluster to see if that changes anything

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
If it's your speedo (as well as trip and odometer reading) playing up, chances are you need to replace yor transducer (little thing that sticks out of ya gearbox and gives ya dash all the info) $150 from holden and about 10 mins to replace (Replaced mine in Jan). As for the tacho playng up as well sounds more like a cluster fault, although i could be wrong. Auto elec will probably charge $150 to pull it out and have a look, but it would depend on what was wrong.

:drink: