Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speedo not reading

Zacory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 BT1 Mock up
Recently i have converted my back lights of my instrument cluster from the white lights to LEDs. this being the case i needed to take the cluster out. when i put it back in everything was reading (except for speedo) i have found that it isn't the instrument cluster because i got another one off a mate and that didn't read either. i have checked all my fuses and made my instrument cluster back to stock again.. neither of these worked :/ can someone please help :)

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
make sure that all your plugs (2 blue and an orange from memory) are seated correctly, eg, the tab on the left hand side of the plug. this could be a simple problem

Zacory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 BT1 Mock up
i have done that.. my mate reckons the LEDs are sucking too much juice but i thouyght they use less power

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Backlighting has its own circuitry and wiring. cant be that

Zacory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 BT1 Mock up
ok i have everything working again except for odometer and speedo. it runs like a dream but im worried im gonna get pulled over for speeding and being only on my Ps it will be an instant loss of licence i have put plugs in properly and still nothing i sat on the ground and did it from the back and same results

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
did you undo the nuts on the back at all? ive had some intermittent trouble with my taco recently. also check the plastic on the back of the cluster, more so the copper tracks. they can break or snap with age

Still_On_P's

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive S1
i have the exact same problem with my vn series 1. no speedo, changed the cluster, still no speedo...however every so often it will jump up to the speed im doing and work for 5 mins or so, then if i hit a certain bump in the road, it drops again. only happens every so often and not everytime there is a bump. help?

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just realised you said speedo and odo. Check your vss or vehical speed sensor. Its located on the rear neck of your trans between the main trans housing and your tailshaft. This is a common fault if both odo and speedo stop