Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speedometer not working

skyper

SKYPER
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
speedo

speedo needle works but the miles won't clock up, neither does the trip meter, is it electrical or is it cogs,any ideas

skyper

SKYPER
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
speedo

the needle works but it won't clock up klm's ,is it electrical or cogs,trip meter dosn't work either

Hardstylin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Can someone please take a picture of the speed sensor and post it up?

It would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
the needle works but it won't clock up klm's ,is it electrical or cogs,trip meter dosn't work either

Hello,

The speedometer on the dash cluster in my VP Calais was working on and off, I purchased another dash cluster for $120, same issue.

What would be the quickest yet most effective way to fix this?

Cheers,
Chris

i believe this would be for both of you, the speedo sensor just unscrews by hand and if it is what the problem is then best option would be get one from the wreckers for about $20 otherwise holden charge about $240 for one.

the 3 wires that go into it get very brittle and hard over the years so it's quite possible that they may have broken off so which you would have to get a new sensor.

Attachments

• RIMG0695.jpg
    RIMG0695.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 540
  • RIMG0698.jpg
    RIMG0698.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 437

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
hehe yeah dont try fixing it if its shafted, too much of a **** around, remember manual and auto ones are the same

Hardstylin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
i believe this would be for both of you, the speedo sensor just unscrews by hand and if it is what the problem is then best option would be get one from the wreckers for about $20 otherwise holden charge about $240 for one.

the 3 wires that go into it get very brittle and hard over the years so it's quite possible that they may have broken off so which you would have to get a new sensor.

Cheers mate, I went into Holden and they said they don't sell them anymore and my best bet is the wreckers.

ibs87

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 Vp Calais 5.0l
went underneath my car to c if i could take it off. no go? and its covered in fluid too..mayb leak sumwhere. Does it unplug buy the wires first..coz if u unscrew it first itll twist the wires. On v8 vps is it on the same side?Passenger side hey? thnx help would b appreciated

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Passenger side. Yes, unplug the wires first.

Hardstylin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Okay, so went to the wreckers, they wouldn't take one off for me so I decided to try it myself, unscrewed one off a VN, got home, took mine off and realized the pin in the one I got from the wreckers was broken, looks like I'll be going back to get another.