Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spelling and grammar

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Human brain doesn't look at letters anyway. Also there usually is punctuation in sms speak. othrwiseuwuldcsumtinglikedis
It does, it primarly interprets the first and last letters and length of the word. So if you start text talking changing the last letter and length of the word, the brain may need to interpret the entire word.

And word spacing isn't considered punctuation....

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I have no doubt that our forms of communications will continue to evolve. However text/SMS isn't an evolution at all. Just as note taking or shorthand was always an alternative means of collecting information, but never considered an evolution or replacement for proper english.

Punctuation for example, is used for very good reason. Read most sentences without punctuation marks, and they can be interpreted many different ways. Add punctuation, and instantly the intentions of the message are (usually) much clearer. The 20 line paragraphs we get here, with no punctuation, no capital letter to indicate the beginning of a new sentence etc..... Surely you can agree, those sort of posts are extremely difficult to read ?

You've mentioned the time it takes to type full sentences, but don't consider the time it takes for the reader. The human brain will spend considerably more time interpreting missing information from a sentence, because text talk isn't the way we normally speak. So whilst the time spent by the author may be reduced using text style language (which is only the case if you are a poor typist), the reader will typically find it more difficult to read, and take more time to read it, and it's highly likely that the reader will also misintepret much of the text, particularly if the message intended by the author has any sort of substance.
I completely agree. I know that I often have to read some posts two or three times to understand what the writer is trying to convey. If the post is particularly long and is in the form of one long sentence, I don't bother reading it at all.
I don't expect perfect spelling or grammar because I am far from perfect myself.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I just want doctors to start writing legibly. I can't understand anything they give me :)

It's part of the process of becoming a doctor :p

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I'm basing it on my own experience with people in the workforce - throughout several completely different careers I've experienced over the last 21 years.
University courses (unless it's an English or related course) don't teach students how to communicate in good english, primary & secondary school is 'supposed' to do that. And you don't necessarily need good english skills to attend university either. So the numbers of people going to university really has no relevance to the english standard in Australia.

If the english standard is so high, why is it, that we see an increasing number of people posting on these forums with terrible english ? They can't spell the most basic words like 'does' dose sic.....(and I don't buy the excuse they can't be bothered typing the correct spelling - it doesn't take any longer to spell a word correctly. If you can spell you don't even need to think about the spelling of most common words) and don't even seem to understand what a full stop or comma is ?

I strongly disagree with your ‘experience’. Have you attended a university recently? In all of my non-mathematical related subjects proper sentence structure and grammar are a prerequisite. Workshops are freely available weekly for anyone seeking help; from basic through to advanced concepts of English. I could thoroughly 'nit-pick' the grammatical errors you've made above. Your sentence structure is all over the place and you’ve misplaced a few commas. Not that it matters. I still understood the contention. Using JC as proof that literacy is falling is fallacious. I've mispelt words plenty of timezzz. Doesn't mean I can be bothered fixing it. It's a goddamn forum.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I strongly disagree with your ‘experience’. Have you attended a university recently? In all of my non-mathematical related subjects proper sentence structure and grammar are a prerequisite. Workshops are freely available weekly for anyone seeking help; from basic through to advanced concepts of English. I could thoroughly 'nit-pick' the grammatical errors you've made above. Your sentence structure is all over the place and you’ve misplaced a few commas. Not that it matters. I still understood the contention. Using JC as proof that literacy is falling is fallacious. I've mispelt words plenty of timezzz. Doesn't mean I can be bothered fixing it. It's a goddamn forum.

you may disagree with my experiences, I've had the experiences, the facts are still there whether you agree or not.

No I haven't attended a university recently, however I have dealt with university students and when a non-university student like myself is requested upon to assist so called graduated university students construct sentences, write reports & correspondence then clearly something has gone wrong somewhere between school and university. Forums are a reflection of the literacy levels.... It is a reflection of our written communication. We all make spelling errors of course, but as I've already mentioned, I'm not referring to spelling errors being a problem. As several others have pointed out here, the overall level of english is on a downhill slide (I'm not just referring to this forum) and the increasing amount of text talk is one of the largest contributing factors, which is the main issue I am addressing.

Look I could nit pick your grammar and sentence structure too etc etc, and one english teacher could do the same to another. As you said, it's a forum, I don't proof read my posts to the extent I would an official document going to court etc. I never claimed to be an A English student nor did I criticise people's sentence structure (apart from not using sentences at all....) and precise placement of punctuation. I'm referring to people not using punctuation at all, instead typing a 20 line slab of text with no full stops, no commas, no sentences at all. Can you honestly say those posts aren't difficult to read through ? I'm sure you would agree that my english is at the very least, easy enough to read and understand, that's all I'm suggesting of others. This a social forum where we attempt to communicate with each other, is it really that difficult for people to type in plain english, and use the occasional punctuation mark to clarify what they are saying? With little to no punctuation use, text language etc, it becomes very difficult and/or tiring trying to read some peoples' posts. Spelling mistakes, as said I really don't care providing it is easy to understand what the author means. Punctuation marks, I'm certainly not going through with a red pen. I just want to know when a sentence ends and another begins, maybe a comma here and so I read the text the way it was intended.

But more to the point, my biggest gripe is text talk on forums. I can understand the reasoning for text talk on a phone, but on a forum no.

Last edited:

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I can tell you literacy is failing badly due to the number of referrals made to LL&N, so many who are recent school leavers who cannot read and write to the point simply filling in forms is an issue. This is from someone who is at the coal face of literacy issues.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Darren, whilst I agree with what you've written above. It's not what I took objection to in your earlier posts. My issue was that you demonized certain demographics as illiterate Bogans then proceeded to pigeonhole the remnants of society the same way. I don’t think the ‘problem’ is as wide spread as has been made out in this thread. Mainly due to reasoning’s in my prior posts.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Darren, whilst I agree with what you've written above. It's not what I took objection to in your earlier posts. My issue was that you demonized certain demographics as illiterate Bogans then proceeded to pigeonhole the remnants of society the same way. I don’t think the ‘problem’ is as wide spread as has been made out in this thread. Mainly due to reasoning’s in my prior posts.

sorry I obviously missed something, which demographics did I demonise as illiterate bogans ??

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
we are going to have a lot of newer generation adults who will be illiterate, unable to type up a legal document/letter.

the overall level of literacy of those who can read and write would be at an all time low (at least for the last 30 years)

most over 30 year olds seem to be able to spell and write with competency, whilst so many of the younger generation struggle to even type up a basic report

Just a few examples. Demographics is a broad term but does encapsulate age groups.