Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spluttering, misfires - code 47 and 49

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
VS V6 ute.

I didnt drive it for about 6 weeks and then it started misfiring and spluttering on idle and any sort of load. It needed a full service and some things done so i took the opportunity to change the inlet manifold gaskets to Mace ones, replaced all fluids and filters, changed all the vacuum hoses and just today replaced the crank angle sensor and swapped over the DFI module.

Still having the 2 error codes show up and all of the misfiring, rough idle.

Next steps will be to change all the plugs, leads and coil packs and maybe try and clean out the throttle body but my question is - if the CAS is a brand new delphi and the DFI module is new - what other causes could result in codes 47 and 49 which should be ignition related to the CAS or DFI module as far as I am aware.

Leads and plugs are about 12 months old but ive never replaced the coil packs in my time with the car ~ 3 years.

I think I have read every thread on here about CAS or the above error codes but still feeling a little lost.

Any ideas?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
When it gets dark start it up and look at the coils you may see sparks earthing.
New coils mate

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
Cool, thanks - ill have a look a bit later tonight.

Is there a simple way to test the coils without a spark tester?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I thought 47 was usually the DFI too.
Was it a new DFI you put on it?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 l67 commodore berlina
i had code 47 changed everything plugs leads dfi module & coils cas cps still hesitated changed fuel injectors came good a few days later must hav had clogged valves & the xtra petrol cleaned them up ,runs fine now but still getting code 47 even with an AcDelco sensor checked both cas & cps plugs 4 voltafe ,continuity seems ok, but car has an elongated crank time & other times it will start then drop out immediatly then start the 2nd go !

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
So an update on this one.

Bought a new coil to test but unfortunately wasnt the fix.

I have had a couple of weird electronic issues with my headlights and turning signals lately so I started to think my wiring has maybe got some issues/modifications in its life.

I took a very close look at the wiring harness coming into/out of the DFI module around the thermostat housing and noticed some newer looking electrical tape in one spot. Pulled it back and noticed 2 of the cables had been individually wrapped in new electrical tape too. Pulled the tape off the individual wires to see they had either rubbed or melted on something at some point and the insulation around the wire had worn down so the wire was present in some spots. Someone had just wrapped electrical tape over the damaged areas and it must have worked because i didnt have any issues for 3 years until 3-4 weeks ago.

Went to the wiring diagrams to see which wires were affected. First one - White/Violet (Crank reference signal) and the second - Red (DFI signal to injectors)

To go back to my error codes again:
Code 47 - Crank Angle Reference Signal
Code 49 - Crank or Cam angle Sensor Intermittent

Bought some new auto cable to cut out the damaged sections and to solder some new wire in and am hoping i have found the cause of my issue. Will update again when i have put the new wire in

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
I thought 47 was usually the DFI too.
Was it a new DFI you put on it?
Wasnt a brand new one but one i keep in the glove box as a spare for an emergency that hasnt been used before.

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
i had code 47 changed everything plugs leads dfi module & coils cas cps still hesitated changed fuel injectors came good a few days later must hav had clogged valves & the xtra petrol cleaned them up ,runs fine now but still getting code 47 even with an AcDelco sensor checked both cas & cps plugs 4 voltafe ,continuity seems ok, but car has an elongated crank time & other times it will start then drop out immediatly then start the 2nd go !
I have some brand new leads and plugs ready to go, have changed the CAS and almost bought some new MSD coils last night from Mace and a new DFI from ebay.

If my wiring fix isnt the problem Ill be going the injectors route next i think. My entire ignition system will be brand new except for the wiring harness

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I reckon you are on the right track now. After the drama I had with dodgy aftermarket DFI's on my old VS, I swear if I ever own another one the first thing I will buy for it will be a MSD or genuine set of coils and DFI. Other than that the VS was a great car.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Gorst coils are as good as MSD and half the price. Also the stock coils are more than adequate and tend last reasonably long.