Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spluttering on acceleration

NV-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Xe
hey guys, car starts fine, idles fine, when you rev it, it splutters/chokes. and blows puffs of black smoke

ive changed
injectors, spark plugs, leads, tps sensor, the other sensor nxt to it, fuel filter
and im still having the problem.

what else could it be?

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
maybe an exhaust blockage? maybe coil packs or dfi module? just my thoughts.... good luck mate

Gudgeon Pin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore, VK EFI 5.0 Calais
try the air filter mate, if it's blocked or dirty the car doesn't get enough air to burn the fuel properly

Yoshi667

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hope you get it sorted, mine is doing the same thing (minus the smoke)
I took mine into Ultratune last time it did it and the bloke said it was a coil pack, that didn't work this time but might work for you.

Also from my experience black smoke usually means it's burning oil, not too sure how that goes in the new cars as my experience is old-school non fuel injected, no electronics cars.

Last edited:

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
I was under the impression that black smoke is fuel, blue smoke is oil.

My engine is much the same as yours, barely moves sometimes it splutters that bad. I've got a new engine + trans to put in there though (current is pretty stuffed anyway) just putting some goodies in it first. I'm hopeful that the problem won't re-occur with the new engine but if it does I'll be looking at the dfi, coil packs and the cat as the culprits.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
It's either electrical or fuel.
Check: coils (may be a fault in one or more), HT leads to plugs (leads may be faulty or not connected to correct plug), plugs (incorrect rating, gap or faulty), fuel filter (dirty/blocked), air cleaner element (dirty/blocked), bad or dirty fuel, water in fuel, dirty or blocked injectors, faulty fuel pump, are you getting any fault codes? if so, what are they?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
check the fuel pressure regulator vacum hose for petrol leaking out of it.the ecu's have issues with the coolant temp sensor circuit and default full rich and do the same thing as well

NV-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Xe
forgot to mention has k&n air filter so thats fine, has a coil pack from a car that was working a1 so its not that. i havent changed fuel pressure regulator, called repco there $208 fark that.
ive got another fuel pressure reg from a vn on duel fuel its different though, (silver and alot smaller) and different bolts holes, can i use that?

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
black only on acceleration means is getting way too much fuel
and would feel like it is "bogging down" rarther than misfiring (shudder)
unplug your coolant temp sensor and the car will set the temp to 96 degrees and wont misfire
if not this then the air is not being metered properly or you have a severe vacum leak
if vacum leak would idle higher than normal aswell as a hissing sound at idle that isnt there normally
if its the air sensor you would have to replace it to check it and there expensive try a wreckers for that one

if the fuel reg was leaking fuel out the vacum port then it would be over fueling at idle and would not idle correctly (smooth)
to check pull vacum hose off start car at idle and see if fuel slowly drips out the hole the hose was on give it a rev and see if fuel squirts out
normally this would cause a lean mixture thoughwhen not on idle e.g. misfire due to detonation

NV-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Xe
i know its not the sensors ive changed them all from a car working a1, it drove perfect just got deregistered, im going to try the dfi module first, theres no vacuum leak