Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sports seats question

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
Can i install after market sports seats in my VY. or is there some airbag thing thats gonna stop me. I aint worried about losing the electric adjustments just i heard there was something to do with the airbags and the seats. For the record i dont have side impact bags

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Can i install after market sports seats in my VY. or is there some airbag thing thats gonna stop me. I aint worried about losing the electric adjustments just i heard there was something to do with the airbags and the seats. For the record i dont have side impact bags

If you dont have side air bags you should be fine then mate....

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
So whats this im reading about seatbelt tensioners being wired to the seat??

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
So whats this im reading about seatbelt tensioners being wired to the seat??

Interesting, where did you read this, first time ive herd about it aye ??

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Right here on this very forum:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-holden-commodore-2002-2004/5465-removing-drivers-seat.html

Anyone care to debunk this. I dont wanna go setting off the airbag if i install some new seats.

Oh i see, yeah dont take them out until someone else replys thats done it to a VY commodore, ive only helped a mate on his VT and we just disconnected the battery and a few wires that were connected to the seat, yeah VY might be different...

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Commodores since VT have seat belt pretensioners. They are a pyrotechnic device actived in company with the airbag, designed to take up the small amount of slack in the seat belt before the occupant of the seat is thrown forward into the belt at the time of a head on prang.

The pre-tensioner is mounted to the inner seat rail of both seats. If you are looking at changing the seats, you would need to see if the seat can be bolted to the existing seat rails or the seat rails with your new seats could accommodate the pre-tensioner.

As these devices comply with Australian Design Rules, deletion of them would make your vehicle illegal in all States, so you can't just ignore the pre-tensioner and delete it for a standard inner belt.

I removed my VY seat last week and noted that the design of the pre-tensioner has changed quite a bit from the VT design, but the principle remains the same.

Regards

pj

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
So if i buy ADR approved seats will they be okay with the pretensioner? I think the seats i am looking at use the existing rails the seats just bolt on to them.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Mossman

It should be ok provided the seats satisfy the relevant ADR and bolt to the factory seat rails. This could vary from State to State. I see that you live in QLD. If your registration authority is anything like the RTA in NSW, you need to be careful because of their approach to vehicle mods. It's ok to say that what the RTA (or whaqtever) doesn't know won't hurt, but vehicle registration inspection stations will be wary of passing a vehicle for rego renewal if the car has been modified in such a way that an ADR or two has been affected.

I would think you would need to see something in writing from the seat manufacturer, confirming that they complied with the ADR's, and not just take the word of the seller.

Regards

pj

Last edited: