Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sportwagon rear seat latches.

ruxall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2011 Calais wagon
When the back seat release button is in the down position when the seat is upright, and you can't lay it down, don't do what I did. I assumed it was the latch itself, so with difficulty I pulled it out and being plastic of course there was damage. I ordered a new one, and had almighty difficulty in not only getting it back in but when I finally got it in it was inoperative. Flipped the latch cover off the other side back seat, locked it with a round screwdriver, after doing that a few times I found a rod that connects to the latch, then realised the rod was free to flop around disconnected that was the reason I couldn't engage it with the new latch. Went back to the problem seat and partially dislodged the latch cover by accessing through the back (Don't try to force.the cover out because it is held by the latch bolt) With a pair of long nose it is possible to grab the rod and release the seat. once down with the latch cover completely off click the the rod back on the black plastic shaft of the seat latch. Now, my opinion as to why it happens is that when the seat is simply slammed back into place, that can dislodge the rod from the top seat release mechanism. So when in day to day relatching the seat lay it back on to the latch and simply give it a push back and it will lock in. Always first check the rod connection before assuming it is the release. I am sure there is plenty of stuff about this on the web, but problem is big egos, and few will admit their mistake.

Last edited:

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Now, my opinion as to why it happens is that when the seat is simply slammed back into place, that can dislodge the rod from the top seat release mechanism. So when in day to day relatching the seat lay it back on to the latch and simply give it a push back and it will lock in. Always first check the rod connection before assuming it is the release. I am sure there is plenty of stuff about this on the web, but problem is big egos, and few will admit their mistake

Yeah true, I can vouch for above. Go easy on the back seats! They do NOT need to be 'slammed' back in place (like many things that do not require excessive force to operate just fine). Rotate them all the way back into position and 'jab' will lock them nicely.

Reactions: Lex

ruxall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2011 Calais wagon
Yeah true, I can vouch for above. Go easy on the back seats! They do NOT need to be 'slammed' back in place (like many things that do not require excessive force to operate just fine). Rotate them all the way back into position and 'jab' will lock them nicely.
And the amazing thing is Les, that when I looked at stuff on U tube nobody really explained the actual problem. They all said it was difficult but never said is was NOT the plastic operating fitting, but the simple disengagement of a right hand rod linkage badly connected to the release tang. Thank Christ it is just possible to release the seat with that slam plate half off.