Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sportwagon taking on water.....

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Had one of these on Friday and did some water testing and found the passenger side body to tailgate harness wasnt sealing and water was dripping onto the centre rear roof lining trim then trickling onto the cargo blind.

Sounds like same issue as vicarious. This ones under warranty so will get a new harness, if yours is out Id run a bead of silicone around the hole between body and the grommet.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
Had one of these on Friday and did some water testing and found the passenger side body to tailgate harness wasnt sealing and water was dripping onto the centre rear roof lining trim then trickling onto the cargo blind.

Sounds like same issue as vicarious. This ones under warranty so will get a new harness, if yours is out Id run a bead of silicone around the hole between body and the grommet.

yep, still have 2 years left on a 5 year factory warranty :)

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
My CalaisV wagon did that

Turns out it was the black rubber flexitubing on the tailgate where the power and water feeds run to the back glass... the black cover/seal had slightly come off and the water was running down the tube into the interior of the car and then dripping off the plastic interior lining at the back of the roof... it also stained the roof upholstery. New roof liner and re-affixing the seal did the trick

Yonnee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon 6.0L
Seems that this is not an isolated case. I've had mine since June, and when it rains, I get a water mark on the roof trim, and it drips onto the cargo blind. I initially thought it was the seam under the black roof trim (where the roof racks go) as I found a gap in the sealer. But I filled this and it's still leaking.
At least now I know where to look next.

ShouldaBoughtaBMW

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z-Series VE Sportwagon
Got the car back from Holden, turns out the antenna seal was never fitted properly. Warranty covered it. Wonder how much water is still sloshing around in there somewhere......

My Sportwagon had the exact same problem - earth wire was crimped under the antenna seal. Combination of careless twit on the assembly line, and poor quality control - it's a common theme in the build quality of my VE.

Yonnee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon 6.0L
I think I've now found it. Over the Christmas break I pulled the plastic trim at the end of the roof lining and had a look where the two rubber tubes runs from the tailgate into the roof and saw the R/H one nice and clean, whereas the L/H one showed traces of dirty water on the under side. Once I pulled back the tube, I also found the roof pressing around the hole had a slight depression on one side.
Cleaned all the old hard sealer from around the hole, gently massaged the hole straight, ran some new sealer round the tube and snapped back into place, leaving for an hour before closing the tailgate.
Fingers crossed... (no serious rain in Melbourne yet to test it)