Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spot lights

iZ_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais ZB Tourer
Hey guys,

Got my spotlights from my old ute installed on my ZB. Just wondering if anyone knows how to do the wiring?
Since the battery is in the back, should the red connector (photo) in the front work as a positive?

Cheers!

PXL_20220624_045047567.MP~2.jpg
PXL_20220624_045131095.MP~2.jpg

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
if you can bolt onto it you can run a fused line off it for the spotties.

if you have adaptive cruise those spotties will mess with it because the radar is behind the grille.

iZ_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais ZB Tourer
if you can bolt onto it you can run a fused line off it for the spotties.

if you have adaptive cruise those spotties will mess with it because the radar is behind the grille.
I don't have adaptive cruise control.

Fuse line from where? I tried using the big red pad on the left with the positive and the negative going on "ground". Did not work.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
This will have positive from the battery.

Screenshot_20220624-172326_Samsung Internet.jpg

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Easiest way to wire them up is to buy a pre-made loom complete with relay and switch and a power take of crimp and a wiring diagram.

But hard to explain it in words but if we accept this new loom is based around the relay and a bundle of wire:
- the power lead with inline fuse holder goes to battery terminal or the red tag covered terminal on fuse box
- the earth lead goes to ground
- the high beam signal lead is easiest accessed inside the LH headlight housing, rork out which of the wires to the globe is positive and either strip it back carefully and solder the other wire on, or use a scotch lock. Beware the globe wiring is quite flimsy
- the cabin switch lead has to go through a grommet in firewall
- the lead to the lights themselves goes to the lights themselves

Just go a google image search for driving light wiring diagram or similar. Or maybe light bar wiring diagram would be better since most led setups seem to earth the lights up at the relay

Can I ask - how did you go attaching the lights - I considered one of those nudge bars but front bar didn't seem strong enough to hold it?

iZ_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais ZB Tourer
Can I ask - how did you go attaching the lights - I considered one of those nudge bars but front bar didn't seem strong enough to hold it?
I attached it with cable ties to a bar behind the grill. The spot light is from my old ute and it's quite heavy.
PXL_20220625_015711797.MP~2.jpg

I do have all the cables. I just realised the fuse blew up. So I'm gonna get some spares and try again.
Gonna get a voltmeter too.. will make my life much easier

iZ_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais ZB Tourer
Ok.. so I got the voltmeter. Seems like the positive red covered terminal it's not working. I tested the battery in the back and it's fine, but not the terminal on the front. I wonder if there a fuse for that somewhere.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Ok.. so I got the voltmeter. Seems like the positive red covered terminal it's not working. I tested the battery in the back and it's fine, but not the terminal on the front. I wonder if there a fuse for that somewhere.

if there was a fuse break in the main line nothing would work in the vehicle, you can bolt on to this point in the picture.
if you are volt testing make sure the gnd is unpainted and actually connected to the body.

Attachments

• pos.jpg
    pos.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 102

iZ_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais ZB Tourer
Thanks for that! The ground was actually on the paint.. so it's working.
I think there's something wrong with the cable. Every time I test it, it blew the fuse.
Cheers