Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spotlights on at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Don't drive with them on! You'll end up blinding someone and either running them orf the road or having a head on!!!!!!

No, just no! There factory fitted ones, not aftermarket ones ;)

richierich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11SS
lol, is you car lower at the rear than the front from factory now, because i got sent the wrong rear springs for my car it aims the headlights up, if i have a car full of people at night people usually flash occasionaly, - i havnt got around to re adjusting the beams yet, will do it this week, will point the foggies down a fair bit too,

maybe you should do they same

Yes i agree, i'd say your car is down at the back and the nose is sticking up a bit, it doesnt take much.I have know problems with anyone flashing at me with the spotties on:wave:

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VYII Calais
i drive with them on all the time, day or night cause of the dark car. never have any issues with blinding people. you can see when they are properly adjusted as the beam will not show up very far after the front of the car on their own at night.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
i just use mine when im driving in rural areas of sydney at night, where theres little or no street lights.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Hope no-one gets upset here, but just like to clarify what should be meant by "spotties"
It is short for spotlight, yes those things one uses to shine on a rabbit to see it better. In cars they are known also as the pencil beam driving lights that will light up the trees 400m in front of the car.

So I hope no one is stupid enough to have these type of lights on when driving towards another vehicle and that the "spotties" that are being referred to ^ are the fog lamps, which as Reaper already has outlined the only lamps that should be used when other vehicles are around is the parkers, low beam headlamps or running lamps(which arent fitted to australian cars), fog lamps being permitted if adverse visibility.

For those who question/ignore why there are regs regarding the use of fog lamps here is what I offered several months ago:
is that fog lights are designed to make a nice spread in front of the car, both to the right and to the left, so one can see the edges of the road in fog/snow conditions. There is no sharp cut off of the beam to the right side of the vehicle(hence they can project into the vision of those travelling in the opposite direction), unlike on your low beam lights where they should not shine on to the other side of the road to any extent. We have headlights that are specifically designed for lhd and rhd to meet these standards, there is no such criteria for foglights....it would make them useless for when they are really needed.

Last edited:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
commsirac, Spotlights are 400m beams in country. In the city all the light pollution degrades them quite a bit. The light path on my spotlights was about 30-40m on the road surface, but could only reflect off signs like 150m away. In the country i could see plenty far though!

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hope no-one gets upset here, but just like to clarify what should be meant by "spotties"

Should just clarify, regardless of what YOU call them, people(meaning, majority of drivers) refer to factory fitted lights as spotties, or fog lights, or driving lights.

Your crap in these threads isn't needed, the question was already answered!

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
poor motoring , rig them to your high beams dude

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
poor motoring , rig them to your high beams dude

Modifying the wiring of your lights is a big nono according to ADRs. Keeping in mind their FACTORY fitted lights ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.