Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spotlights on at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
Ok, i always have my spotties on my ss ute on at night when i drive coz it helps me see the road coz my eyes are pretty bad. I always get people flashing their high beams at me. Does it really bother people that much? Anyone else get flashed when they have their spotties on?

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
yes it probably does and its also illegal. your eyes must be pretty bad if you need to drive with your spotties on to see.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
You're probably like my missus. Her eyesight at night sucks blue chunks.
As mentioned, it's illegal so mabye you have people flashing for that reason.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Ok, i always have my spotties on my ss ute on at night when i drive coz it helps me see the road coz my eyes are pretty bad. I always get people flashing their high beams at me. Does it really bother people that much? Anyone else get flashed when they have their spotties on?

If your eyes are that bad then go see an optometrist (sp?). Have some respect for other motorists on the road and leave them off when there are other cars around.

For those who are too lazy to look:

Fog & driving lights

Using fog or driving lights at the wrong time can make it difficult for other drivers to see. Incorrect use of fog or driving lights can result in a fine and loss of points from your licence.

Using fog lights
Front fog lights are designed to better illuminate the road in fog, snowfall, rainstorms or dust clouds. They can be recognised by the narrow pattern of light emitted.

Road Rule 217 states that drivers must not use front or rear fog lights unless driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions that cause reduced visibility.

Fog lights cannot be accidentally switched on. They must be switched on separate from the main and dipped beam head lights.

Using driving lights
Driving lights are designed to illuminate the road over a long distance. They are the same as the high beam (main beam) head light and emit the same lighting pattern.

Road Rule 218 states that drivers must not use the high-beam headlights when driving:

* less than 200 metres behind a vehicle travelling in the same direction
* less than 200 metres from an oncoming vehicle.

Driving lights cannot be accidentally switched on. They can only be switched on and off with the high beam head lights.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/RoadSafety/VehicleSafety/FogAndDrivingLights.htm

Or for our SA counterparts:

217—Using fog lights
(1) The driver of a vehicle fitted with front fog lights or rear fog lights must not operate
the fog lights unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions
causing reduced visibility.
Offence provision.
(2) In this rule:
front fog light means a light (other than a headlight) fitted to the front of a vehicle to
improve illumination of the road in fog, snowfall, heavy rain or dust clouds.

219—Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users
A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver's vehicle
to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user.

http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/R/AUSTRALIAN ROAD RULES/CURRENT/1999.219.UN.PDF

Reaper

Last edited:

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
*danja grabs some popcorn and waits for the fireworks*

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
lol, is you car lower at the rear than the front from factory now, because i got sent the wrong rear springs for my car it aims the headlights up, if i have a car full of people at night people usually flash occasionaly, - i havnt got around to re adjusting the beams yet, will do it this week, will point the foggies down a fair bit too,

maybe you should do they same

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I never had any problems with after market driving lights in my VR... except when i first installed them and someone decided to aim them up a bit more for some stupid reason! :S Even when that happened i didn't get flashed or anything, i only found out too because a mate said they were blinding him in his rear vision mirror when he was in front!

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
If your eyes are that bad, you shouldn't be driving!

I'm yet to be 'dazzled' by an car with factory foglights! Although last night there was a 4WD with lights that looked like his high beams were on. Aswell as a wanker in a VE who we thought had his highbeams on, but he's just a moron who didn't angle his lights when he was towing a trailer!

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Don't drive with them on! You'll end up blinding someone and either running them orf the road or having a head on!!!!!!

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp

get HIDs. are vy ss the ones with projector lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.